T-5 HURST me not baby! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-5 HURST me not baby!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

T-5 HURST me not baby!

Well folks, after much anticipation, I got my Jeep back from shop. I had my T-5 rebuilt with the World Class parts kit. This was much cheaper than getting a whole new tranny. On top of that, I dedcided on a splurge, so I now have the Hurst shifter for the T-5.

I gotta tell you, don't be so quick to bash the T-5, the W/C parts are more than enough for my MPI 4.2 and the Hurst shifter is like a dream! This thing now shifts like a BMW - I'm very happy with setup, and I had to make no driveline mods.

While there are better swap-ins if you have a different tranny, consider this route if you have an ailing T-5.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2002, 06:52 AM   #2
bodi

i hate to be nosey but i just put in a jsaper engine (4.2) and have the t-5 which i want to have rebuilt next. how much was your rebuild and tell me more about the hurst shifter.

thanks and congrats.
83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 09:48 AM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Well bodi, the guy charged me about a grand, which I know is steep. But this included the W/C kit, which is not cheap, him doing the rebuild, and also the labor of removing and installing the tranny. Plus new fluid in the tranny and x-case. Right now, I have no place or tools to yank the tranny, plus I've never rebuilt one, so I was a bit over a barrel with my tranny on its way out and a 1,000 mile trip upcoming - to a place where I will not be able to work on the Jeep for two months, and then another 1,000 mile trip.

While pricey, the rebuild kit includes everything but the case and shifter, it's really like having a new tranny.

The Hurst shifter is just sweet. Really short throws and a nice accurate feel. It's what you'd expect from the leader in shifter technology (I know I sound like a commercial).

One other thing that my mechanic, who only works on Jeeps, CJs mostly, told me was that the W/C kit has a little notch or whatnot in for each gear to keep the shifter in place. He told me that, with high powered v-8s, the T-5 was known to pop out of gear occasionally, and the W/C takes care of this. You can feel this a tiny bit, it is in no way a problem. Again, the Hurst shifter is so smooth, between the rebuild and it, it's heaven.

Best of luck

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.