T-5 Fluid Question? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-5 Fluid Question?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #61
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWeaver View Post
What I'm reading is that everyone is suggesting full synthetics in everything?

I don't see any indication on my receipt that Jiffy Lube used full synthetics in any of my stuff
I actually don't like synthetics in a Jeep. Too dang many leaks that pop up with the synthetics.

I'm running 75-90 dino gear lube in my T5, Dana 300, and front and rear diffs. Have been since the 30K mark which I hit in around 1993-94. I currently have around 81K on the ticker, and have no problems.

I was GOING to swap to Redline MT90 in the T5 ONLY because I thought it might make cold shifts a little easier. Leaving dino in everywhere else.

I think the Rotella is great oil, and don't think that 15w40 will hurt anything at all, but you better check the amount; 4.5 quarts isn't enough if you're running the 258.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #62
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Lumpygrits I'm sorry I meant to thank you for your welcome to the forum but I got a little distracted wondering what you meant by AO. I'm going to assume you meant area of operations which is in my profile so don't know why it's not showing but I live in Memphis, Tennessee. I just came from Afghanistan via Fort Benning, Georgia *waves to Seabass* but my next assignment after my leave will be in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri for at least 11 weeks and then after that I may be staying there longer or I may be going to Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

I'm thinking about taking my CJ back with me when I go, I lost my dad to a stroke last year and mom has no use for it. The Jeep was always his and my thing together. We started on it when I was 15, it was my first and only car until I left for College. As to why I picked those fluids I'm afraid I didn't ~ the shop that I had change all the fluids for me shows the fluids.

CJWeaver, I meant to join with the others in welcoming you home as well. BTDT myself and just retired not long ago after 4 wars and 2 other actions in 4 countries spanning almost 22 years in the Army. You sound like your still fairly early in your career path and may have most of your adventures still ahead of you though certainly sounds like you got off to an early start like I did (Desert Storm was my first).

I noticed your list of where you have been (Ft. Benning) and where you are and maybe going (Ft. Leonard Wood / Ft. Campbell) and wanted to ask if you might happen to be a fellow Ranger? Certainly not that those bases aren't frequented by many other soldiers but they happen to be three bases that you're likely to see Rangers at. Ft. Benning of course being our home base. You know I have talked with Seabass and never even noticed his location listed Ft. Benning until you waved at him in your message and I realized you may know each other.

I also was going to ask, you said your from Memphis, you don't have any relatives around Batesville, Arkansas do you? We're only a couple of hours away and I'm not sure if Weaver is actually a part of your name or if you choose it as part of your handle from something else but we have a LOT of Weavers around here. Even a road called Weavers Chapel Road with a famous old Church where the founding preacher was named Weaver. Even a friend (transmission shop owner) that I was just talking about earlier in this same thread is named Weaver as well. There is a community not far from here where that Church is that you can't hardly throw a stick without hitting someone named Weaver.

Also sorry to hear about your dad but at least you can always have the Jeep and the memories that you built together.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #63
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
So coming home is more dangerous than where you've been!

JK. I'm an hour SW of you, graduated from MUS in 1994....

Thank you for your service!

It's not that bad in Memphis and we live in the country just outside of the burbs to the NE. Thank you very much.
CJWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #64
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
CJWeaver, WELCOME HOME!
Thank you for your service.......
I had 3 sons in that dang war with multi-tours.
Wish you all the best.
LG

Thank you and this was my second; Iraq then back home for more schooling and after that just when I thought I'd get a regular assignment I was sent back to Afghanistan.
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #65
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
I actually don't like synthetics in a Jeep. Too dang many leaks that pop up with the synthetics.

I'm running 75-90 dino gear lube in my T5, Dana 300, and front and rear diffs. Have been since the 30K mark which I hit in around 1993-94. I currently have around 81K on the ticker, and have no problems.

I was GOING to swap to Redline MT90 in the T5 ONLY because I thought it might make cold shifts a little easier. Leaving dino in everywhere else.

I think the Rotella is great oil, and don't think that 15w40 will hurt anything at all, but you better check the amount; 4.5 quarts isn't enough if you're running the 258.

That's good to know I don't want to start leaks.
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #66
wm69

Quote:
It's not that bad in Memphis and we live in the country just outside of the burbs to the NE. Thank you very much.
Some parts of Memphis are pretty freaking bad! That said, if you're out on the country I'm sure it's nice. My family was all originally from out around Covington.

Wasn't trying to offend, and sorry if I did. Most all my friends in Memphis and I like to poke fun at our surroundings. I lived in NW Arkansas (aka pleasantville) for 10 years and couldn't stand it because it had no personality. Moved back home 4 years ago and have no desire to move again before they put me in the ground.

It's home. Just joking around.
securedownload.jpg

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #67
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
CJWeaver, I meant to join with the others in welcoming you home as well. BTDT myself and just retired not long ago after 4 wars and 2 other actions in 4 countries spanning almost 22 years in the Army. You sound like your still fairly early in your career path and may have most of your adventures still ahead of you though certainly sounds like you got off to an early start like I did (Desert Storm was my first).

I noticed your list of where you have been (Ft. Benning) and where you are and maybe going (Ft. Leonard Wood / Ft. Campbell) and wanted to ask if you might happen to be a fellow Ranger? Certainly not that those bases aren't frequented by many other soldiers but they happen to be three bases that you're likely to see Rangers at. Ft. Benning of course being our home base. You know I have talked with Seabass and never even noticed his location listed Ft. Benning until you waved at him in your message and I realized you may know each other.

I also was going to ask, you said your from Memphis, you don't have any relatives around Batesville, Arkansas do you? We're only a couple of hours away and I'm not sure if Weaver is actually a part of your name or if you choose it as part of your handle from something else but we have a LOT of Weavers around here. Even a road called Weavers Chapel Road with a famous old Church where the founding preacher was named Weaver. Even a friend (transmission shop owner) that I was just talking about earlier in this same thread is named Weaver as well. There is a community not far from here where that Church is that you can't hardly throw a stick without hitting someone named Weaver.

Also sorry to hear about your dad but at least you can always have the Jeep and the memories that you built together.
Thank you; and thank you for your own service. No, I'm not a Ranger they don't let us in the Rangers though I heard someone at Ft. Benning say that they may start sometime in the next year or two. That was my first time ever to be at Ft. Benning and was only there about 9 days processing back from Afghanistan.

I don't know of any family in that area but it's a common name and yes it's my family name. It wasn't intentional and I didn't think about the coincidence until after I joined as it's the ID that I use everywhere but I did not choose CJ because I own a CJ7. CJW is really my initials though it does work well on this particular website.
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #68
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

SG, I have a Ranger son(1st, Bat/75th Rangers)who did 5 tours. He's out now-Part of him is still there.
LG
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #69
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Thank you; and thank you for your own service. No, I'm not a Ranger they don't let us in the Rangers though I heard someone at Ft. Benning say that they may start sometime in the next year or two. That was my first time ever to be at Ft. Benning and was only there about 9 days processing back from Afghanistan.

I don't know of any family in that area but it's a common name and yes it's my family name. It wasn't intentional and I didn't think about the coincidence until after I joined as it's the ID that I use everywhere but I did not choose CJ because I own a CJ7. CJW is really my initials though it does work well on this particular website.

That's cool. Yea a lot of people could be at those same bases, just happened to recognize them as also being places (esp. Benning and Campbell) where you often find active Rangers. Do you mind if I send you a PM? Something you said made me wonder about something but I didn't want to ask openly in case you didn't want everyone to know.

Your right, that works out to pretty cool first initials to be on a CJ forum. It never occurred to me that could actually be your initials and not just because you have a CJ.
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #70
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
SG, I have a Ranger son(1st, Bat/75th Rangers)who did 5 tours. He's out now-Part of him is still there.
LG

Same group as myself, good that he's out but sorry to hear about the other part. I hope it's something he can recover from.

At least he made it back and you have that. We went to the funeral for a friend that was once in my task force under my command who was still in the service and got sent back again for an op right after Thanksgiving and expected to be home for Christmas. As it was they ended up having to have his funeral just a few days before Christmas. Almost ended up in a fight with a protester at his funeral. Been a long time since I have came that close to loosing my cool but those idiots had the entire parking areas closest to the graveside blocked with their cars all up and down the lane. The funeral directors had made provisions for their own Cadillacs with immediate family but all other friends was forced to walk a long distance past all the cars of the protesters and then right through them and of course my girl and I were both in our class A full dress uniforms for the occasion (she's retired Air Force) and one guy in particular got kinda in my face. Some of the Patriot Riders were there and a rather intimidating looking fellow in biker leather, but clearly one with a heart of a patriot got back in the guys face distracting him and we went on past.

I would (and did!) defend their right to protest freely, as I'm sure your son did, but funerals and hospitals was not, and is never, the time nor the proper place for it.
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #71
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
No, I'm not a Ranger they don't let us in the Rangers though I heard someone at Ft. Benning say that they may start sometime in the next year or two.

CJWeaver, actually never mind the PM, I see now that it's in your public profile... When you said "they don't let us in the Rangers" but that you heard they might start sometime in the next few years the only group that I could think of (that I knew of) who might fit that was females but didn't want to ask openly in case you didn't want it public, but I see it's actually in your profile. I have a 15 year old niece who wanted to be a Ranger like me or a Marine sniper/forward scout like my brother, and for years my sister has told her sorry but they wont let a girl be either of those. I don't know what excuse my sister is going to use now but my niece just signed up for JR ROTC and is very determined. My sister asked what I was gonna do if she actually got accepted to Ranger school if they started letting girls apply. I told her I'd make plans to go to her graduation because the girl is athletic, confidant, skilled, and very determined and any girl I knew would stand a good chance of being accepted and actually making it through Ranger school she'd be one of them. My girlfriend was an Air Force para-jumper during one tour and did two others as a life-flight nurse and now works as a civilian life-flight nurse on an Air-Evac Life Team. I have seen girls prove they can do as much as many of the guys. My sister just rolled her eyes at me and humphed. All I could do was laugh and told my sister that she's only 15, she first has to finish school, join the Army, probably get some college in there somewhere, and then and only then sometime 10 years from now she will have enough experience to apply to Ranger school, and most applicants have to re-apply a couple of times before they finally get accepted so my sister is worried about something that's 10+ years in the future and if it happens it happens and we will be as proud of her as we were of my nephew who graduated Ranger School last summer. My niece is the youngest of 4 and you'd think after 2 older girls and 1 boy and all the others grown with families of their own now that my sister would realize they're gonna do what they're gonna do.
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #72
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

THX, he's come along way.
Other son was Armor and spent 18 months cleaning out Baqubah.
The other was Marine Air Crew(HMM-165)Crew Chief.
The kicker is, my daughter is a LEO
LG
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #73
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
THX, he's come along way.
Other son was Armor and spent 18 months cleaning out Baqubah.
The other was Marine Air Crew(HMM-165)Crew Chief.
The kicker is, my daughter is a LEO
LG
You family sounds like our family

Almost everyone in our family all the way back to WWI have been either military or law enforcement or both. Many of the women have been nurses in the military though the latest generation have seen some of my older nieces do other things and the youngest wanting to be the worlds first female Army Ranger but she's still too young and is gonna be late by about a decade.

I'm even dating an Air Force nurse who was a Para-jumper in Afghanistan and then a life-flight transport nurse in a C130 converted into a flying hospital, one tour bringing the wounded back from near-theater hospitals to Germany, and then another tour on the flights from Germany back to the states for the ones who was good enough to come back to the states but still had to have intensive care during the flight. She herself is 4th generation Air Force on her dads side, 4th generation Nurse on her moms side, and the 3rd generation of nurses on her moms side who was Air Force nurses. So if we get married she will fit right in with the rest of my family
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #74
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Our daughter is the oldest and NONE of the boys mess with her.
Maybe because she's a 4th degree black belt in Kempo.
She is also a Sgt on her dept.
Maybe BOTH our families are a bit NUTZ........
Heck, my Mom was a WWII, WASP. roots go deep.
LG
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #75
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Our daughter is the oldest and NONE of the boys mess with her.
Maybe because she's a 4th degree black belt in Kempo.
She is also a Sgt on her dept.
Maybe BOTH our families are a bit NUTZ........
Heck, my Mom was a WWII, WASP. roots go deep.
LG

My girlfriend is so small (Japanese ancestry) that she had to have a waiver for height and take a test to prove she could drag a 200lb wounded soldier across a 50 yard field in I think it was less than 3 minutes before they would let her be a para-jumper. She's in her 30's (10 years younger than myself) but looks like she's about 16 years old and her speaking voice sounds like a shy pre-teen girl. She says she had to learn to make herself be heard and now that she's a life-flight nurse and the captain I was picking her up at their station and arrived early. I got to talking with her crew chief (former Army heli pilot and EMT himself) while waiting and he said when she first came there and they seen and heard her they thought how did this little thing ever make it in Afghanistan. Then even before they really had time to get to fully know her they got a call and went out on their first call with her which as a big multi-car pile up on I40 and they landed on scene thinking they would have to help her get into the swing of things. But then suddenly this "tiny little thing of a girl" was calling our assignments to everyone on their team and even giving orders to the state police trooper on scene on what they needed from him in the way of clearing a spot for a second chopper to land and where she needed the ambulances to park when they arrived. The chief said it didn't take them long to learn that it's like she has split personalities and not to take her looks and speaking voice for granted, you wouldn't want to mess with her when she's doing her job and lives are at stake.

I have a feeling my niece will grow up to be the same way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.