T-5 Fluid Question? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-5 Fluid Question?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #46
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
CJ, I based my posting here, from hands on experience in rebuilding and driving T5's used in Jeeps and their somewhat tainted history.

LG
Thank you for pointing that out, and so it sounds like you're basing your opinion on the exact same type of criteria that the previous posters transmission expert based his on as well. Except that he also has done this for a profession for almost half a century as well as owning numerous Jeeps himself if I am reading the original posters comments correctly. I never read anywhere in the post where it was said that the Valvoline was bad ~ only that in that person's years of experience as a professional and owning his own Jeeps that he prefers the Lucas.

CJWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #47
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

What I'm reading it sounds as though either the Lucas full synthetic or the Valvoline full synthetic would either one be great choices and i'm going to have to have mine redone because they didn't use full synthetic in any of mine at Jiffy Lube. I have figured out from the post that I need 75W90 in my 5 speed transmission but could someone please tell me what weights I should ask for in my transfer case and axles?
CJWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #48
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Valvoline 75W90 has been out much longer.
I have not used the Lucas syn gear oil so I will not comment on it. I have used many other Lucas products(reread my post in this thread)and have found them first rate.
I would use either, with no issues.
What I would not do, is switch back and forth between makers because of the chemical 'pacs' each maker uses MAY have an adverse reaction to seals etc. More likely NOT-But I have seen it happen before.
BTW-I too started turn'n a wrench come'n on 50 yrs ago.
T5, use syn 75W90.
All else,(except engine)use 'dino' 80W90.
LG
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #49
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Actually Matt I did indeed look hard enough, I found it long before you posted the link, but as I said (and someone else pointed out) the data is NOT on the products page on the internet. On that page it only list GL5 spec, they make you have to download the spec sheet to actually get to see all the specs which is rather odd to me which is why I pointed it out. I also never said anything negative about the Valvoline, in fact quite the contrary, I pointed out earlier I have used it in my 'Cudas 4 speed for years. GW also said the Valvoline was good (which I also said in my post about it) but that in his experience and in their shop he has found the Lucas to feel a bit smoother.

He did also tell me that he has a report somewhere amongst his large collection of trade magazines where an independent lab hired by AAMCO in one of last years issues had tested all the major makers full synthetics and found the Lucas exceeded most specs plus meet the specs for limited slip diffs the others don't (so no need to add extra additives) where as many of the others did not fully even meet all the specs that they claimed to and some of the others that did only just meet them. He said they gave the Lucas their #1 rating and the Valvoline their #2 rating and either would be good. One that he said he found ironic considering how many people like it is the "purple" stuff they found failed to fully meat all of the specs they claimed in their advertizements to meet including the proper % to be called full synthetic as opposed to semi-synthetic or a synthetic blend. He said the purple stuff also received an inconsistent rating for quality where they pull random bottles from different suppliers both in stores and online to see if they are all 100% exact formation. Where as Lucas, Valvoline, Casteroil, and Pennzoil, which in that order was their top 4 all had stable ratings for quality. He told me that I should be good with ANY of those top four. He sells all of them including the purple stuff, he even admitted he makes the most money on the younger kids who have been taken in by internet advertizing and insist on the purple stuff, it has the highest markup and we had a laugh about that. BTW: He knew I wouldn't be buying any from him no matter what I bought, we get a good discount on our own commercial account at all the local auto parts stores. He also knows that my Jeeps transmission and transfer case are both still under warranty from his shop so if he steers me wrong and my tranny goes out, he's gonna be the one eating it. The old many had the tranny and transfer case in this Jeep rebuilt by GW about 7k miles ago even though nothing was wrong with them he was having the engine rebuilt by my dad and had us send the tranny/xfer case to GW to have them rebuilt at the same time and GW's gives a 3 year/50k warranty on all his work which is BETTER than the local AAMCO.

I had to admit I was wondering about the purple stuff, I have a friend who swears by it, yet just had to have GW rebuild the tranny in his Dodge Cummins truck not long ago. I actually wonder about a lot of the products you can buy online until you notice they ship from overseas and the label doesn't QUITE look exactly the same as what the ones in the store do.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #50
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

WOW, AMMCO-I wouldn't trust'em as far as I can spit.
Source/links please.
LG
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #51
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
WOW, AMMCO-I wouldn't trust'em as far as I can spit.
Source/links please.
LG

Maybe not but from what he said it was just them who hired an outside independent lab at some college to test for them when they was looking at renewing contracts so had nothing to do with AAMCO beyond that they commissioned the study. Wasn't a link, he said it was an article about the findings by some independent college lab in one of his certified transmission repair shop trade magazines in one of the issues from sometime last year. Could be online somewhere if you knew where to look.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #52
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

James,

So, we've come from "...Valvoline only meets one or two specifications but the Lucas meets numerous specs..." to "...Lucas feels a bit smoother." The target keeps changing, here.

When you can produce some evidence of this AAMCO report, do share.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #53
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

t-5 fluid type should be an added sticky imho.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #54
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
James,

So, we've come from "...Valvoline only meets one or two specifications but the Lucas meets numerous specs..." to "...Lucas feels a bit smoother." The target keeps changing, here.

When you can produce some of this AAMCO report, do share.

Matt
My target hasn't changed at all and I didn't say they only meet one or two, I said they only listed meeting one or two on their bottles. I don't know what your "target" was but being smoother WAS my target, we know all the major band synthetics are good, so the next target was which is smoother.

I neither need nor care to produce evidence of it. I've already gotten the opinion of someone we around here KNOWS to be one of the best transmission people around anywhere, I have already used his advice and changed my fluid, and am VERY happy with it. My transmission feels awesome and that's all I need know... If you want or need evidence of it feel free to go find it for yourself. I did my own research for myself and shared what I learned with others so maybe it could help someone else trying to decide, they can take it or leave it, I'm not forcing anyone to follow it. If you need more research feel free to have at it but I'm not doing it for you beyond what I already have and have shared.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #55
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
t-5 fluid type should be an added sticky imho.
Ditto
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #56
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy
My target hasn't changed at all and I didn't say they only meet one or two, I said they only listed meeting one or two on their bottles. I don't know what your "target" was but being smoother WAS my target, we know all the major band synthetics are good, so the next target was which is smoother. I neither need nor care to produce evidence of it. I've already gotten the opinion of someone we around here KNOWS to be one of the best transmission people around anywhere, I have already used his advice and changed my fluid, and am VERY happy with it. My transmission feels awesome and that's all I need know... If you want or need evidence of it feel free to go find it for yourself. I did my own research for myself and shared what I learned with others so maybe it could help someone else trying to decide, they can take it or leave it, I'm not forcing anyone to follow it. If you need more research feel free to have at it but I'm not doing it for you beyond what I already have and have shared.
That's what I figured..

My BS meter rarely fails me.

You should think about a paid JF membership.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #57
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
That's what I figured..

My BS meter rarely fails me.

You should think about a paid JF membership.

Matt

Now when it comes to BS I'm sure you are the expert

(sorry, you kinda walked smack into that one)

Seriously though you do have a lot of areas you do know a lot about and are awesome for sharing with everyone and I hope you realize that I am just ribbing you sometimes, which is how I take some of your comments as well. I can dish it our and also can take it equally well, but it doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinions and most certainly respect you. I never even disagreed with what you said, but just because one product is good doesn't mean it's the only one.

Actually I plan on it when we're a bit further past the holiday season and it's related expenses.
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #58
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWeaver View Post
I live in Memphis, Tennessee. I just came from Afghanistan .
So coming home is more dangerous than where you've been!

JK. I'm an hour SW of you, graduated from MUS in 1994....

Thank you for your service!

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #59
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

CJWeaver, WELCOME HOME!
Thank you for your service.......
I had 3 sons in that dang war with multi-tours.
Wish you all the best.
LG
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #60
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
Yes he did though now two days later I can't repeat them, it was a matter of how well they meet/exceeded than that the Valvoline didn't at all.

GW's been doing this for 46 years and is the most respected transmission person and shop. We're not talking some guy with a shop in their yard, we're talking a large business with 20 employees. He grew up doing this; his dad owned an AAMCO shop he started in as a teen in the 1960's. Him and his employees are constantly going to courses by the manufacturers and the mechanics institute to keep up to date on new equipment, transmissions, etc. Even the dealerships around here send their work to his shop, my dad opened his shop in 1998 after retiring from 41 years in the military and he sends all his transmission work there (my dad doesn't do any internal tranny work) and he has always said GW is the best transmission man he's ever meet in his life. I somehow doubt he needs to do more research, he's no doubt done more research than any of us.

I myself DID so some research online and in the store after he told me that and compared the bottle and the Valvoline did not have all the specs listed that the Lucas did, neither on their bottle nor on their website. If the Valvoline meets all the specs you listed they should add it to their bottle and their website. He was very familiar with the Valvoline and he did like it, even sells it along with every major brand, he said there is nothing wrong with it but where it only meets some of the specs he has seen reports showing the Lucas exceeds many of them and as he said the proof is in the pudding and he said you can feel the difference which is why he runs the Lucas in all his own transmissions.

I didn't try the Valvoline so can't say how difference there is between the two but I can defiantly say the Lucas makes the transmission shift and feel sweet compared to what it was before. I defiantly feel it was a good choice and I know Lucas is extremely well respected.
What's the name of the shop and where in AR is it? I'm over close to Memphis. Have a couple of TF999's in my shop that I eventually plan on having rebuilt to put in my green Jeep (one will be a spare). I might check with him on rebuild. If you don't want to openly post it PM me please.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.