T-5 Fluid Question? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-5 Fluid Question?

DynoMax fall Ultra Flo Welded rebate is here!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #31
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
WELCOME!
If you would fill out your profile so we know your AO that would help.
Where I live, it wouldn't be an issue.
You see what I use.
Let me ask you why you chose the oil you are using.
LG
I'm sorry what do you mean by AO?? I know several things that could mean in the Army but none I can think of would really be a applicable here in a forum.

CJWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWeaver View Post
I know several things that could mean in the Army but none I can think of would really be a applicable here in a forum.
X2, I with you there
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

Lumpygrits I'm sorry I meant to thank you for your welcome to the forum but I got a little distracted wondering what you meant by AO. I'm going to assume you meant area of operations which is in my profile so don't know why it's not showing but I live in Memphis, Tennessee. I just came from Afghanistan via Fort Benning, Georgia *waves to Seabass* but my next assignment after my leave will be in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri for at least 11 weeks and then after that I may be staying there longer or I may be going to Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

I'm thinking about taking my CJ back with me when I go, I lost my dad to a stroke last year and mom has no use for it. The Jeep was always his and my thing together. We started on it when I was 15, it was my first and only car until I left for College. As to why I picked those fluids I'm afraid I didn't ~ the shop that I had change all the fluids for me shows the fluids.

Last edited by CJWeaver; 12-28-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Unread 12-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

In my 118K mile OEM engine. I use Castrol 20W-50, 1 bottle of Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak and Restore.
Thank you for your service to our country!

LG
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #35
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

I stopped by the transmission shops owners house today to drop by some deer chili (friend of the family) and asked him what he recommended in the T5 transmission. This is a guy who has 5 or 6 Jeeps himself out behind their large transmission shop in their storage yard, including a serious CJ7 hill-climber that has had the front frame extended like 6-7 feet, it's almost half again longer than a regular CJ7 and I've got video of him taking it to a local 5000 acre offroad area and climbing a 10 foot high bank that is literally straight up. Anyways, he also suggested the Synthetic 75W90 but he didn't recommend the Valvoline as his personal choice, he specifically recommended the Lucas oil pure synthetic. I noticed the Valvoline only meets one or two specifications according to the bottle but the Lucas says it meets numerous specs and is safe for the brass in my transmission. He told me it will shift smoother and I would really like it better than anything else in a T4 or a T5. So I picked some up and just did my change, took a short drive and I can feel the difference, it's noticeably smoother. I forgot to ask what he would recommend for the D300 and my axles... Would be nice to use the Lucas in all of them, but which weight/thickness?
_
img_1415.jpg  
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #36
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
Anyways, he also suggested the Synthetic 75W90 but he didn't recommend the Valvoline, he specifically recommended the Lucas oil pure synthetic and said even the Valvoline only meets one or two specifications but the Lucas meets numerous specs and is safe for the brass in my transmission.
He didn't happen to mention which specs those were, did he?

Comparing the spec sheets on both oils, I see very little difference. They both meet or exceed API MT-1, API GL-5, API GL-4, MIL-PRF-2105E, SAE J2360 and Mack GO-J specifications.

Comparing the physical properties of each, again, I see very little difference. Overall, the Lucas appears to be a little thicker (viscosity) oil, but otherwise they are very similar.

My point is, I think we are splitting hairs, here. And, I think your transmission friend should do a little more research.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

X2 w/Matt on this.
IIRC, "V" carries all current makers specs.
I have been using it since the day it came out.
Lucas makes dang good stuff. You will be fine.

LG
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
He didn't happen to mention which specs those were, did he?

Comparing the spec sheets on both oils, I see very little difference. They both meet or exceed API MT-1, API GL-5, API GL-4, MIL-PRF-2105E, SAE J2360 and Mack GO-J specifications.

Comparing the physical properties of each, again, I see very little difference. Overall, the Lucas appears to be a little thicker (viscosity) oil, but otherwise they are very similar.

My point is, I think we are splitting hairs, here. And, I think your transmission friend should do a little more research.

Matt

Yes he did though now two days later I can't repeat them, it was a matter of how well they meet/exceeded than that the Valvoline didn't at all.

GW's been doing this for 46 years and is the most respected transmission person and shop. We're not talking some guy with a shop in their yard, we're talking a large business with 20 employees. He grew up doing this; his dad owned an AAMCO shop he started in as a teen in the 1960's. Him and his employees are constantly going to courses by the manufacturers and the mechanics institute to keep up to date on new equipment, transmissions, etc. Even the dealerships around here send their work to his shop, my dad opened his shop in 1998 after retiring from 41 years in the military and he sends all his transmission work there (my dad doesn't do any internal tranny work) and he has always said GW is the best transmission man he's ever meet in his life. I somehow doubt he needs to do more research, he's no doubt done more research than any of us.

I myself DID so some research online and in the store after he told me that and compared the bottle and the Valvoline did not have all the specs listed that the Lucas did, neither on their bottle nor on their website. If the Valvoline meets all the specs you listed they should add it to their bottle and their website. He was very familiar with the Valvoline and he did like it, even sells it along with every major brand, he said there is nothing wrong with it but where it only meets some of the specs he has seen reports showing the Lucas exceeds many of them and as he said the proof is in the pudding and he said you can feel the difference which is why he runs the Lucas in all his own transmissions.

I didn't try the Valvoline so can't say how difference there is between the two but I can defiantly say the Lucas makes the transmission shift and feel sweet compared to what it was before. I defiantly feel it was a good choice and I know Lucas is extremely well respected.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #39
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

I would like to see the source of those reports.
Like I said-Lucas makes good stuff.
Their power steering stop leaks really works as does there Engine stop leak.
FWIW: BOTH of my main seals stopped leaking, after I started using it about 1 1/2 years ago.
LG
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
I myself DID so some research online and in the store after he told me that and compared the bottle and the Valvoline did not have all the specs listed that the Lucas did, neither on their bottle nor on their website. If the Valvoline meets all the specs you listed they should add it to their bottle and their website.
Actually, Valvoline DOES list their specs on their website. I guess you didn't look hard enough.

Here's the Valvoline specs.

Here's the Lucas specs.

When discussing the merits of one oil over the other, I think it's prudent to deal with FACTS instead of here-say. The truth is, there is very little difference between comparable oils from the leading manufactures. Lucas is certainly a good product, but they aren't the only one.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

THX Matt-You posted while I was read'n them........
LG
Unread 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

I was reading the postings and after reading that post I looked and it was not on the product page. You have to load an external PDF file of some kind. I also do not believe the poster ever claimed that the Lucas was the 'only one'. You say we should deal with facts instead of hear-say but what you say is also mostly hear-say; anything anyone says here is really mostly hear-say. I do feel that I would be likely to trust the opinion of a tech with the experiance that the poster listed the transmission shops owner as having; certainly better than the guys at Jiffy-lube who changed my fluids to say the least.
Unread 12-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #43
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

CJ, I based my posting here, from hands on experience in rebuilding and driving T5's used in Jeeps and their somewhat tainted history.

LG
Unread 12-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #44
CJWeaver
1982 CJ7 

What I'm reading is that everyone is suggesting full synthetics in everything?

I don't see any indication on my receipt that Jiffy Lube used full synthetics in any of my stuff
Unread 12-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #45
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWeaver View Post
What I'm reading is that everyone is suggesting full synthetics in everything?

I don't see any indication on my receipt that Jiffy Lube used full synthetics in any of my stuff
Reread then, I never said syn in everything. In the T4/T5 tranny YES they are the best.
JL didn't show it cause they didn't use it.
BTW, JL is the LAST place on earth that I would take any car to........
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.