Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

T-18a from J10 to CJ5

659 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  HackFabrication 
#1 ·
Hey everyone so I'm in the process of trying to hoist a rebuilt T-18a mated dana 20 twin stick into a 1977 cj5. I'm wondering if I need to cut the floor board to properly make it fit. I do not have a transmission jack, so each attempt things are getting heavier. Also possible pics or explanation of what the front transmision mount will look like on a t-18 and how it matches up to 1977 cj5 original skid plate. Any suggestions are always apreciated criticism is acepted in small doses. Thanks

#3 ·
Ultimatum

Yeah ordered short shaft kit through partsmike. They were great to deal with alot of help. On the set up my twinstick seems to be in the way. Ive tried raising front dropping back and vise versa. Every way i seem to come up with to adjust that tranny, those levers get in the way and its to tight. For some reason the levers were terrible to set up on the bench so i realy question taking them off. Guess its probly whats easier re-installing sticks or fab a new floor pan.

#4 ·
Your trans shifter won't require any modification of the shifter cover. You're on your own regarding the twin sticks.

The factory spaced the skidplate 7/8" away from the bottom of the frame rails and it's moved back one set of holes from where it would have been with the T150. The trans mount is no different than with the T150, it's just in a different set of holes on the skidplate.

#6 ·
Also possible pics or explanation of what the front transmision mount will look like on a t-18 and how it matches up to 1977 cj5 original skid plate.
Not the original skid plate (Throttle Down Kustom with '0' drop - much better than the OEM combination crossmember/skidplate. Also available in different drops.):

Note: That is a custom machined stud, as the Energy Suspension poly transmission mount is thicker than the OEM rubber. The 'P' shaped torque bracket is what came on my 1976 CJ5 with stock T18b/D20 combination. I swapped in a Ford T18 for the lower 1st gear.

Here's an alternative to the stud:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.