T-18 tranny removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-18 tranny removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
jeeptree2112
2006 LJ Wrangler 

T-18 tranny removal

cant figure out how to get the shifter off the T-18. Took the floor cover off and there seems to be a metal cover over the shifter yoke that is seized on over it. Any suggestions?? I'm replacing my clutch and this is my first go at dropping transfer cases, drive shafts, tranny's etc. Step by step. Right now I want the shifters out. Thanks for the input

jeeptree2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
44231GUY
1986 CJ7 

what you need to do is drop the trans and let the shifter come down the hole with it, when it is on the ground you can rotate it to get the trans out from unerneath, it helped me to drain the fluid out first.
44231GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
har99
1979 CJ7 

There is a metal domed cap that slips down the shift lever and threads onto the shift tower. The domed cap may have a flange area around the bottom. Twist it off like a nut. Once you have that off the shifter will pull straight up-n-out. Be careful, there is one loose pin on either side of the shifter pivot ball. With the shift lever in place and the threaded on cap in place they cannot go anywhere, but once you remove the domed threaded cap they can fall out. They usually just sit there but it's good to watch out for them. Dont let them fall inside! Best to put in neutral to re-install also. see this link for pic: http://www.fordification.com/tech/im...fter_T1819.jpg
har99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

^ This.

I just did the same thing to my T-150, which is held on like your T-18. I used a pair of large gland pliers, which did the trick.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

^This times Three
Unsrew the cap and before you pull the shifter up fish the pin out from the side.
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.