T-18 and Dana 300 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-18 and Dana 300

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 08-20-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
glovematt

T-18 and Dana 300

I have a CJ-7 w/ a T-18 transmission and AMC 360. It's a '79, so it also comes with the Dana 20 transfer case and I am thinking of swapping it with the Dana 300 and changing the low gear so that I can the 4:1 ratio. Is it possible to connect a T-18, Dana 300 and AMC 360 without a lot of effort and cost?

glovematt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2002, 11:43 AM   #2
dana60cj

You say you already have the tranny and motor together, so all you need is a $505.42 adapter from Advanced Adapters. There are two different adapters though. If your T-18 was swapped in it could be a Ford or A Jeep tranny. Jeep tranny adapter part number is 50-7502, Ford tranny is part # is 50-7500.

Hope I helped.
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2002, 02:31 PM   #3
mrclean

T18/D300

If you are doing the 4:1 conversion anyway, stick with the D20. It will work just as well, and you will save $500.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2002, 11:42 PM   #4
Dodster

This isn't much technical help, just testamonial. If you want to go rock crawlin' you won't regret making the swap to D300. I just bought an '81 CJ-8 with a 360 V-8 EFI T-18 and D300. Granny gear is 6:32. The first time I went rock crawlin' I was in heaven. The Jeep would go anywhere. I never had as much fun wheelin' I'm going out again in about two weeks. I can't wait. Oh, did I mention ARB lockers front and rear? They helped some, too. Good luck and rocky trails to ya.
Unread 08-26-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
autocat_cj

Hi Glovematt,
a good option and pretty cheap is for you to find a Dana 300 out of a 1980 Scout with a standard transmission (note that it MUST be a 1980 with a stick!). It will bolt on directly to your tranny. Now the only thing is that you have to find out if you have a ford T18 or a Jeep T18 (from what I know the easiest way to find out is to see where your reverse is ...if it is all the way to the right and back is a jeep T18).
Unread 08-26-2002, 06:38 PM   #6
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by autocat_cj
Now the only thing is that you have to find out if you have a ford T18 or a Jeep T18 (from what I know the easiest way to find out is to see where your reverse is ...if it is all the way to the right and back is a jeep T18).
Sorry but that's not a good way to see what it's from. Jeep T18 older than mid-78 have reverse far right and up. Mid-78 and newer have reverse far right and down. It depends on the year, not what it came in.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
dana60cj

My T-18 reverse is a right and down and is from a Ford, so there has to be some other way to tell them apart. Advance Adapters would know for sure. 1-800-350-2223
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2002, 10:45 PM   #8
CSP

If you can see the front of the transmission the bolt pattern where the tranny bolts to the flywheel is a dead giveaway. On a Ford the bottom two holes are the same distance away from the top two holes. On the Jeep version the lower hole on the driver side is closer to the top hole than the lower hole on the passenger side. It is an easily seen difference. Anybody wanting info on the T18 or any other component having to do with a Jeep really should check out www.jeeptech.com . There's a wealth of into there including things that distinguish one part from another.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2002, 11:12 AM   #9
autocat_cj

Ty CSP I didn't know that. I love this kind of forums since you always have the chance to learn something new and mostly some more every day
Have a good one.
Alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.