T-176 Reverse Idler Gear Shaft Leak-Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-176 Reverse Idler Gear Shaft Leak-Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Bellerophon
1980 CJ5 

T-176 Reverse Idler Gear Shaft Leak-Help!

Any suggestions on what is causing a drip leak emanating from the reverse idler gear shaft on the front of a T-176? Is there an oil seal on this shaft? Can the leak be stopped from the outside?

Bellerophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Bellerophon
1980 CJ5 

bump to top
Unread 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I don't remember there being a seal in there but it's been a year since I was last inside one. Is it leaking while in the Jeep or is this not in a running vehicle? The only thing I can think of would be if it sat with water in it and rusted the shaft. If you noticed the leak while it was out of the Jeep, I think there is a gasket that goes between the trans and bellhousing. That might be what seals it and with the bellhousing removed it allows it to leak.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Bellerophon
1980 CJ5 

Yes, it does leak while in use in the vehicle. I don't see a seal in the exploded view of the T-176. A bell housing gasket would surely make sense. Was this standard for a 1980 CJ and T-176? I don't see this gasket in the T-176 gasket rebuild kit.

Last edited by Bellerophon; 06-04-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Unread 06-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
1983 CJ7 

I did not have a gasket on my T176 and there is no seal on the countershaft itself;and, it was a snug fit in the case. How do you know it is leaking at that location, is the trans out of the Jeep?
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Bellerophon
1980 CJ5 

It was out, now it is back in. I know for sure that is the source of the leak since I could see it leak from that area when the tranny was on the bench. I tried to fix it with sealant on the outside before reinstalling the tranny, but it still puts out some seepage when driving. I figured this was a common occurrence. I guess it isn't.
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
1983 CJ7 

The only reasons I cold see it leaking from the countershaft would be it was rebuilt and the pin was not put in the opposite end of the shaft and it spun and enlarged the hole, the countershaft was corroded in place and when it was driven out during a rebuild it clearanced the hole in the case, or, it has a lower viscosity gear oil than 75-90.
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not sure how that shaft seals. I wonder if you could cut an O-ring groove in the shaft where it passes thru the case?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Bellerophon
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
The only reasons I cold see it leaking from the countershaft would be it was rebuilt and the pin was not put in the opposite end of the shaft and it spun and enlarged the hole, the countershaft was corroded in place and when it was driven out during a rebuild it clearanced the hole in the case, or, it has a lower viscosity gear oil than 75-90.
Negative on the oil viscosity as it has 80W-90. If the hole in the case was somehow enlarged over the course of its life, and then made worse during a rebuild, although there is no discernable sign of this variance in tolerances from the outside of the case, can't the trickle leak be contained by some application to the outside of the case around the shaft?
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
BSetera
1980 CJ5 

Old Thread Revival...

Has anyone else had this problem? I am having the same problem and was wondering if some RTV on the bellhousing might work to seal it up. Just wanting to make sure I am not going to be messing anything else up by doing this.

Thanks,
Brad
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

It works for me with the counter shaft seal on my T-5.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

I just rebuilt my t176 and the reverse shaft was no where near as tight in the case as the other. So I put it around both sides front and back of mine. I don't see any issues as when I tore it down it had it on there.
rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The cluster countershaft is an interference fit. The shaft should have to be driven into the casing with a couple of light taps from the rear. A leak would indicate excessive clearance between the shaft and the casing, a cracked housing, or a scratch or other damage allowing the oil to pass between the two surfaces.
If you feel the shaft installed correctly and feel all is mechanically sound, you can clean and fill the void with silicone. If the hole mates to a flat surface on the bellhousing, smear a light cote around the area there as well.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
The cluster countershaft is an interference fit. The shaft should have to be driven into the casing with a couple of light taps from the rear. A leak would indicate excessive clearance between the shaft and the casing, a cracked housing, or a scratch or other damage allowing the oil to pass between the two surfaces.
If you feel the shaft installed correctly and feel all is mechanically sound, you can clean and fill the void with silicone. If the hole mates to a flat surface on the bellhousing, smear a light cote around the area there as well.
X2

I would drain it, clean up every speck of oil with brake cleaner, and use Right Stuff. It's a little stronger than silicone. It's a band aide fix..
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
BSetera
1980 CJ5 

I cleaned up both surfaces yesterday (transmission & bell housing), applied black rtv and it has worked up till this morning where it has leaked immediately before. The jeep is not running, so only time will tell. I'll try and remember to update when I get everything running. Thanks again for all the help.

Brad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.