T-176 Needs New Forks? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-176 Needs New Forks?

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Sorry I'm late to the party, but, did you check the stamped steel locking ring on the shifter. This happens so often with mine a carry a spare. I think I've figured out my problem. I think the shifter has been bent by someone manhandling it when going into reverse. I think the stick hits the openning in the locking ring and bends the ears causing the shifter to not work. Right now the trans in out, but when it goes back in I'll know if I'm right. It sounds like you may have the same problem.

Your picture shows the locking ring on the shifter. Are the ears bent?

Unread 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Ok folks, so I got the Forks in and everything works great (kinda). Like i discovered. the chrysler forks from quadratech do need to be reamed out where the shaft goes. I used a dremel tool with a chainsaw sharpener piece. Filly the hole with brasso for some extra touch and smoothness and it worked out great. All gears shift. Reverse is kinda tough to get out of once your in it. You have to move the shifter in and out of reverse and it will finally pop out after a couple tries.

My Big problem is now this...... 3rd Gear is popping out upon acceleration. If i hold the shifter in place it seems to be much less likely it will pop out. but it still will. I have to the move it to N then back to 3.. The previous owner said this never happened to him. I have read a worn synchro will cause this, but I feel like thats not the problem. Anyone have any experience with this? It sounds nasty when it pops out also. Like a fork is grinding on the gear or something of that nature, I have to immediately let off the gas for it to stop. It is very frustrating driving like this. Its so close to being worry free. SO CLOSE!
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Is the shifter movement (distance) into third the same as going into first or much shorter. It could be the forks are not moving far enough either.

The grinding is probably not the forks but the sliding ring that engages the gear. IF it slips back then the ring can clash against the teeth on the gear.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #19
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Every gear including 3rd feels like its going perfectly in to place. Not to far, not to short. They all feel the same and sit well. The poppitt balls and springs seemed to be fine when I replaced everything, the shift rods looked find also. The PO never had this problem when he drove in 3rd so I am hoping its not the synchro. Could it by chance be that the ball on my shifter rod is worn? Nothing looked suspicious when I took it apart and reinstalled it. It has all the parts along with the infamous hose clamp to hold the pins in. Like I mentioned before holding the shifter into 3rd definitely helps but it will still eventually pop out.
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.