T-176 Needs New Forks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-176 Needs New Forks?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

T-176 Needs New Forks?

Hey guys, let me start by saying this is my first post. Real Excited to be here. I just bought my first jeep last weekend for an incredible price. Only thing that is keeping it from running is it wont go into 3rd, 4th, or reverse. The PO tells me I need to replace the forks for those gears. The shifter is all over the and does seem to not be sitting in gears. The only way to get it to drive was to put it in 4x4, which also was kinda tough, and use 1st and 2nd gear. I want your opinions before I go ordering the parts. Also, whether or not its something someone with no experience can do. I am mechanically inclined, but I have never done any engine or transmission work, but I think I can figure it out with the information that's available. With that said, I cant find much info about fork wear related to shifting. Its a T176 transmission. Ill will do what I can to add the pictures since that will be necessary for you to see. I would think problem area is at the top where the shifters "ball" sits. Forgive any term misuse. Noob here! Please Help! I wanna get her running!!

img_1834.jpg   img_1830.jpg   img_1831.jpg   img_1832.jpg   img_1838.jpg  

img_1825.jpg  
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Anybody?
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
penster1
1980 CJ5 

I just replaced all the forks and the reverser on mine. I was having trouble with it locking up when trying to go into reverse. The top of all mine were worn out like yours. Someone attempted to braze some material onto the one lug in the right side of your picture. I also replaced the shifter. Easy job and can be done in an hour. Make sure you do not lose the ball bearings and springs under the shifter slide rods. When you attempt to put the top back on make sure the reverse cluster in the lower left side of the gear cluster is all the way to the rear.
penster1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

The shift covers are known to wear in the shift ball (steel) vs the shift cover (aluminum).
The shifter "lug" can also wear
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Take the reverse rail and align it with the other two.
Replace the shift tower with all forks aligned.
Reinstall the shifter.
Transmission should shift normally.
You will have to shift gingerly, or the shifter may come out of the rails again, leaving you stuck in whatever gear you happened to be in, and the shifter again spinning freely.
There is quite a bit of wear on the forks, as well as an obvious repair on the one rail. My suggestion is to find a complete cover and replace it as a unit.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

I appreciate the input guys! I have already ordered a new 1&2 fork, 3&4 fork, Reverse fork, Reverse rocker arm, Lug Balls, and some fork pins. Ordered from Quadratech. Supposedly some fork manufactures provide forks that are to big and require grinding. Apparently Quadratech uses chrysler forks which also require a little for to get on the rail but fit elsewhere. I understand I need to get my reverse back to Neutral before I set the cover back in. But what about my transmission gears? I am new to this so I dont know how to tell what gear they are in. The entire system will not spin freely at the moment so I dont think its in Neutral?? I would think it would all need to be paired up when I put it back together. Does that matter or no? This picture should be what they are set at right now. Cant remember if something got changed after the picture or not though.
img_1825.jpg  
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

1&2 looks like neutral, 3&4 looks like neutral, were is that pesky reverse gear sitting???
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Do you mean on the forks on on the transmission? I understand the fork layout and what gears they are in. The transmission though I dont know. I do know that when turning 2 of the gears will turn.. thats about it as of right now. I suppose I will find out come this weekend when I get everything put back together
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

No, the gears in the trnny
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

John's telling you to check whether reverse gear is engaged or not. If everything is in neutral the input and out put shafts should turn freely and independently of each other (i.e. you should be able to hold onto one and and turn the other). Reverse gear is engaged/disengaged thru a reverse gear slider that is moved on its shaft by the reverse gear fork. The reverse gear and slider are located low in the transmission under the mainshaft but to one side. If you still have oil in the trans you probably can't see them. If you move the slider to a position where it's gear teeth dont engage anything then you would know the trans is not in reverse. Like John said, the normal forward gears all look like they are in neutral already.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

thanks, cant post much at work anymore.
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

I gotcha. I know what gears your talking about. The PO Drained the Transmission oil and put a small amount of type of gear oil in it for the time being I think. either way there is just enough in the case that the reverse gear is showing. I will try and do some research on here to figure out how to set that back in neutral and if I cant figure it out Ill probably follow up with you guys. Thanks again.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Your first picture shows the reverse fork. Look into the transmission and you will see it down there. Slide it so it no longer engages the gear.
OR, you can reinstall the lid, drop in a couple of bolts, then shift the transmission back into neutral. Use a large screwdriver to "pop" the reverse rail back parallel with the other two rails. This is usually the easiest course of action, provided you can reinstall the lid.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Jeepdaddy, I had to do exactly what your saying to get the cover assembly out. Used the screwdriver to adjust R also. I just wasnt sure that if:

When I got to replace the Cover assembly (all forks in Neutral).. WILL the actual gears need to all be in Neutral. I did do some research and could Not find how to change the gears by hand. If it wont matter then Im not worried about. I just wanted to try and get it figured out before I got everything ready to roll so I dont end up getting oil all over my keyboard
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty010203 View Post
When I got to replace the Cover assembly (all forks in Neutral).. WILL the actual gears need to all be in Neutral. I did do some research and could Not find how to change the gears by hand. If it wont matter then Im not worried about. I just wanted to try and get it figured out before I got everything ready to roll so I dont end up getting oil all over my keyboard
yes, if the forks are in neutral the gears must be in neutral for the cover to slide into place. The forks engage 2 'collars' in the main gear assembly and there's a 3rd fork for reverse. Those 'collars' are actually part of the clutch assemblies that are used to engage/disengage the different gears. The collar at the front of the trans is for 3rd/4th gears and the one towards the rear is for 1st/2nd gears. On either side of these collars are brass synchronizing rings (blocking rings) that have lots of little teeth. If you can see a brass ring on both side of a collar then the clutch assembly is disengaged from both gears it controls. From your pics it looks like both brass rings on both clutch assemblies are visible which is why we're saying it looks like the trans is in neutral (except for reverse which we can't see). After you replace your forks line them up so they'll engage the 'collars' with the gears in neutral and the reverse slider (which has its own collar) when its disengaged as described above. Install the cover and put in the two larger bolts to align the cover and hold it in place. Then check to see if the trans is in neutral (as described above) and shift to different gears to check operation. If all is good, remove cover, install gasket, install cover with all bolts and then shifter. Should be good to go.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
shift fork , t-176

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.