t-150 transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > t-150 transmission

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
newjeepowner

t-150 transmission

first..be nice as I've never even looked at a transmission before...

my cj-7 is leaking gear oil and it seems its coming from the top. I pulled the boots off the stickshifts and it looks like it a bad gasket (right at the top). I also noticed a metal 'valve' off some sort (don't know what else to call it but the top of it can be spun around-its about the size of a bolt head) that fluid might also be coming from.. can anyone let me know what this this is technically called, what it does and if it also might be the problem?

newjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Well it sounds like a breather or vent for the tranny. If that helps. Do you have a picture of what your looking at. It may help to ID the part.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
newjeepowner

i you are right...i think its a breather. do these ever create a leak? seems like the head gasket but just thought id ask. thanks
Unread 03-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

You shouldn't be blowing gear oil through the vent. It shouldn't be leaking from the top cover gasket either.

You might want to either drain & refill the tranny or pull the top cover (only 8 bolts, easy to get to with your floor access panel removed. I say this because your tranny may have taken in water, especially if the jeep has sat without a top and you have a tear in your shift boot. Mine was like that and it was way overfull; looked like a banana milk shake in there (fluid was yellow and foamy).

If and when you pull the transmission top cover, it should look something like this (minus the yellow gunk you see here):

While the cover is off, throw another gasket on there unless the old one is in good shape still.
Unread 03-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
newjeepowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbell View Post
You shouldn't be blowing gear oil through the vent. It shouldn't be leaking from the top cover gasket either.

You might want to either drain & refill the tranny or pull the top cover (only 8 bolts, easy to get to with your floor access panel removed. I say this because your tranny may have taken in water, especially if the jeep has sat without a top and you have a tear in your shift boot. Mine was like that and it was way overfull; looked like a banana milk shake in there (fluid was yellow and foamy).

If and when you pull the transmission top cover, it should look something like this (minus the yellow gunk you see here):

While the cover is off, throw another gasket on there unless the old one is in good shape still.

ok- i think i'll get a gasket then pull the top. Is this a good place to get teh gasket? http://www.quadratec.com/products/52118_52.htm

Thanks again!
Unread 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

You may just want to try the local auto parts place first. They may have it in stock.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

x2 on Bigjoe's post. Most catalog stores are probably going to sell the complete gasket set for your T-150; not expensive but I'd go to your local parts store and see if they can get it for you, you may get it quicker and won't have to pay shipping.

Don't forget to change your fluid if it's been in there awhile or you're not sure how long it's been in there. If you fill it from the top while you have the cover off, make sure you don't overfill it (shouldn't come above your fill plug opening on the right (passenger) side of your transmission.

The good thing about removing the top cover is that you'll be able to pretty well visually inspect the inner workings.
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
newjeepowner

super...thanks guys...i'll try local...i've been filling it from the side on the passenger side (hex key nut) since its been leaking...(hopefully only from the top is the problem!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.