T-150 in my CJ-5 Changed for the worse after lube change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > T-150 in my CJ-5 Changed for the worse after lube change

Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
tbannister
1979 CJ5 

T-150 in my CJ-5 Changed for the worse after lube change

I changed the gear oil in my T-150 / Dana 20 from whatever contaminated lube that sat in it for 14 yrs while resting in a barn to the Napa 80-85-90, based on the recomendation of a friend. It used to shift fine to all but 3rd, where it would bind and give a little grind, but you could always get it into gear.
Now, after the lube swap, it won't go into reverse or first, from a standstill, just 2nd and eventually third. Can anyone recommend a lube change, if that's my issue? I'm planning on a tranny rebuild, but I dont have the coin right now. Thanks for any help.

tbannister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
tbannister
1979 CJ5 

Update- removed the fill plug on the transfer case and out came nearly a quart of lube! I tested the shifter and it went easily into all gears. Started it up to test it and it went back to not letting me get it in to gear. What did I do wrong besides overfilling and unnecessarily adding oil thru the port at the top side of the tranny?
tbannister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
konman2k4
1979 CJ7 

Sounds like a synchro tab has come loose and is blocking gears...

I've got a t150 for sale cheap with a Dana 20. $100.....

I ran it for awhile.

T150 has good gears, if I remember correctly the third gear synchro was a little warn but still shifted ok.

Gears are good in Dana 20.

I'm I am paducah ky 42001
konman2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
itsybitsy
1977 CJ5 

I recently went thru a couple t150 rebuilds. All the research I found is you must use only GL-4 gear oil for the brass synchros in the T150s. Amsoil has it for around $15 a qrt.
itsybitsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
NateC
1985 CJ7 

I started using BG Products Synchro Shift II. It's synthetic, 75W-80 equivalent, and GL4. $11 a quart. It smoothed up the functioning of my T5 considerably.
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
james04si

1977 CJ5 

I use sta-lube gl-4 from Napa. Cost about $20 a gallon when I got it last. If your issue is only the syncro rings they are very cheap compared to a complete rebuild kit. When I finally got around to replacing mine the teeth were completely gone and it was just a brass ring and yet it would still shift grind free if you took your time and shifted it just right. I've had the new rings in for a good 10 years and it shifts smooth as butter.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Before you get too carried away with lube have you checked the clutch is disengaging fully?

Put it in reverse, put in the clutch and start the engine. When you let up the pedal does it start to bite before 1/2 way up?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.