Symptoms of Rear Wheel bearings going out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Symptoms of Rear Wheel bearings going out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Symptoms of Rear Wheel bearings going out

What are some of the symptoms of rear wheel bearings going out?

My hubs are getting hot, and it is not making a kinda clicking squealing noise while going down the road, and it gets worse with more RPMs. No vibrations that I know of, and it doesnt seem to have any more drag than usual. Any other ideas?

This is my DD, I have a replacement rearend for it, but I dont want to go thru the trouble if its something else.

crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Hot hub and noise definitely sounds like a bearing to me. You won't feel drag until they've come apart. Jack it up and check for excessive end play or up and down movement.....either way sounds like it's time to go put on your coveralls!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Alright, its just funny that everything broke at once. I ended up breaking a u-joint strap which in turn dumped the driveshaft out on the ground and ruined my yoke on my Transfercase. At the same time my coil took a dump, and now I am finding out after fixing all that, my wheel bearing is apparently on the way out too.

If it isnt one thing, its a ton of things all at once. WOW, CJ really took a dump on me. Good thing I enjoy working on this thing, otherwise I would of sold it by now. Looks like its going to be a long night after I get off work.

Good thing that I bought replacement rearends for this CJ off of craigslist for $50 a pop, with the same gear ratio. I feel proud after all the hell my GF gave me for buying up parts when I find them.

I guess I should of not bought another CJ either, as my main one is getting jealous because I am working on the other one.
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Anyone else, any other ideas? bump
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

One symptom bould be your wheel and axle coming off on the road

Seriously, though I would check it out right away. Don't take any chances. Jack it up and check for play. You're lucky you got the spare rear end too.

I had a bearing go out while daily driving the jeep. Made a loud grinding sound and loud pop's. One day went out, came back pulled in the driveway and noticed my rear right tire sticking out like 10 inches.
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Going to be going thru the motions tonight, I suppose, if I make it home . Just not wanting to, its so dang hot, and I rather take it easy after work. O'well, it is what it is.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.