Switching my 3 inch body lift with a 1 inch - need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Switching my 3 inch body lift with a 1 inch - need advice

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
MemphisCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Switching my 3 inch body lift with a 1 inch - need advice

I dislike having the body that far off the frame.
My current plan is to just drink alot of beer, unbolt the current mounts, and bolt in the new ones.
The last 6 years with this jeep have taught me that there is no way it's going to be that simple.
Any words of warning?
What is most likely to go wrong?
It also has a 3 inch suspension lift and a 1 inch shackle lift that I will be leaving on if that matters.

Thanks for your help.

MemphisCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
neals80
1980 CJ7 

well I just removed my 2.5 inch and went to stock...looks and rides better...

Soak the bolts all 9 of them...with PB blaster etc...

look at your clutch assembly/bell crank, they should have moved it higher for the 3in lift....you will need to adjust that first for the 1 inch...

I used 3 jacks and did one side at a time per Daystars instructions....

I had to sawzall off 6 bolts..and cut into the square bolt retainers remove the old square nut and bolt welded and rusted in place...I made my own square bolts, taped new threads and used of course shorter grade 8 bolts.....

Just a timely project if you have issues with bolts.....if not you can finish in a few hrs with no issues..and yes beer helps....
I am very happy with removing the body lift the natural look is nicer

Let me know what else I can help you with...

Good luck
Neal...

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Neal gives good advice here.

its not a hard job at all but depending on hardware, it can be a little time consuming.

again, soak the hardware every night a few days before.

loosen hardware on all sides to allow the body to move and remove one side at a time.

might want to disconnect your fuel filler hoses too before hand.

and yes, some good tunes and beer will be your best tools!

take before and after measuements and pics for us to see!

edit: steering shaft may have been lengthend/replaced or just slip.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
PERK
1983 CJ7 

your clutch rod would have been lengthened, you will need to go back to a stock one and, your radiator should have been lowered, you need to remount to the stock holes. fuel filer hoses may have been replaced with longer ones
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.