sway bar stud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > sway bar stud

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-06-2002, 03:02 PM   #1
rustyCJ

sway bar stud

i was at a friends today helping him put in his lift. we tried doing it a few weeks ago but even with 4 ft cheaters the spring main eye bolts were rusted too bad to break loose. so after two weeks of putting penetrating oil on them everynight and 4ft cheater bars they all broke loose. everything went fairly smooth, the rear springs and shocks are in but when attempting to remove the last nut, the sway bar nut, he snapped the stud off with the nut.

will he have to get a whole new spring plate or is that stud replaceable?

Unread 11-06-2002, 10:31 PM   #2
rustyCJ

anyone know the answer, i just got offa the phone with him and he wants to try to finish everything in the morning.

so can you change out a broken stud or do you have to get a new plate?
Unread 11-07-2002, 05:41 AM   #3
TG CJ7

I dont think plates are that expencive, you could just buy a new one. If your planning on getting it done today, try drilling out where the stud goes, tapping the hole, and then put in a grade 8 stud. Thats what I would do if you had to finish it today.
Good luck
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2002, 07:45 AM   #4
DaveFL

If it is a stock spring plate the bolts are not replaceable. Im 90% sure of this. Ive got a plate sitting in my truck right now when I get a chance Ill double check.

I'm replacing all my spring plates on my CJ, most of the plates seem to have the sway bar link stud weilded in, I think the warrior plates with skid protection are the only ones I have seen that are removable.

Front plates sell for average $18-30 each according to what brand or if you want skid protection on them. The cheapest I think I have seen so far are at http://www.rigidsteel.com/.

Hope this helps.
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2002, 11:57 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

He might try driving the Jeep without the sway bar. He might find that he doesn't need it. My friend took the sway bar off his YJ when he installed his lift and it handles very well even on a winding mountain road.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2002, 01:51 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am running without sway bars or track bars on my YJ. Just a set of springs holding my axles in place, and I have no major problems.

I was quite nervous at first about the setup not having all the factory links .. but after driving it on the street for a day, I said screw the swaybar and track bar .. and they haven't been seen since.

Now, I am also in SOA configuration .. and still no ill-effects.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2002, 02:52 PM   #7
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

A helluva lot more articulation too, without that sway bar. The increase in articulation and resulting increase in traction is very significant.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2002, 06:34 PM   #8
GTSCJ

Most lift springs don't need a sway bar. The Jeep will probably ride better wih out it.
GTSCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.