Sway bar size? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Sway bar size?

After working on the old 78 for the last month, it finally saw sunlight and came out of the garage for the first time since 1999. It felt so good to finally drive it again, I took off down the road for a test drive.
About a mile into the "loop" I promptly ran out of gas, and had no cell phone.
What really sucked was being able to see the roof of my house across the creek,but having to walk a mile or so to the bridge to get home.

Anyhow, before parking it I had plans of adding a sway bar. And with the SOA,stock springs, and 33's, it's a definate must have. I have been searching locally, and Ebay for a factory one with not much luck,for a decent price. For the prices they want,I will pay a little more for a aftermarket one.

Here's the question. Quadratec has them in 3/4, 7/8, and 1 1/8 sizes. I assume the bigger is stiffer? How much is too stiff?
I don't do any hard core wheeling anymore, I will be using it for mostly running around town short trips, and mainly trail riding type off roading.
Disconnects would be a possibility as I made a set for my old 84 CJ.
On road manners will be my number one concern over flexibility.

Any recommendations on the size to go with?
It's still got a ways to go before it's road ready, so in the meantime I'm keeping my eyes open for a factory bar, but If I can't find a good deal, I'll buy new when the time comes.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
VACJ7
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Hey Steve... that's a long time in the garage! Would love to see some pics. So what do you consider a good deal? There are two OEM ones on ebay now (including frame mounts and links) that if you were lucky could get for around 50.00.

Paul
post #3 of 3 Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

Yeah, it's been too long. I had a 84 years ago, and ended up selling it when the first kid came along. Missed it every sunny day,
A few years later I had a deal come along on the 78 with a fiberglass tub. I wheeled it for a few years, and planned on a tear down to redo the frame. Half way through, with the kids and house and bills and jobs, it got put on the back burner. There it sat since 99, always planning to finish it whenever I had the extra time and money. Just could never manage to find both at once. Throw in back problems, and it took a back burner.
Never though about selling her though. Untill this summer. The wife talked me into selling it.
I put an ad on craigslist as parts, and started piling the pieces together. one thing led to another, and I once again got bitten by the bug. Pulled the ad and finished piecing it together a much as my back would let me.

Hitting the final stretch now. I still need to run permanent steel fuel lines, install the F250 front shock towers, E brake cables,new seats and belts,exhaust, and finish the wiring to the rear lights. After that it will be road worthy and I can do the small stuff whenever.
Hopefully I'll be picking up the 33's this weekend. Found 4 for $100 with some tread left on them.

I have bid on a few bars on Ebay, but stopped at $50.I don't even know what they finally sold for.And when you figure in the $40 or so they want to ship,and the price of new bushings, I would rather spend $160 for an aftermarket. That is if the aftermarkets aren't too much of a PITA to install.

I keep looking for one locally for that price, but haven't been having much luck.
Also wondering how stock would compare to one like a 1 1/8" aftermarket one?
I'd like to get it close to how my 84 handled, it was a dream to drive on the road.

Here it is about a month ago. The axles,frame, body and parts are just stacked on top of each other.

Here it is on the first day of seeing sunlight in about 12 years.

Last edited by skizriz; 07-29-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.