Swapping Turbo 350/Dana 300 into 79 CJ-7, looking for ideas and possibly a pic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Swapping Turbo 350/Dana 300 into 79 CJ-7, looking for ideas and possibly a pic

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Swapping Turbo 350/Dana 300 into 79 CJ-7, looking for ideas and possibly a pic

My best friend has a 1979 CJ-7. Had a 360/3-speed/Dana 20.
I'm in the middle of putting in a Turbo 350 and Dana 300.

Tranny and T-Case are in there now, and I'm thinking of different ways to mount it to the skid plate. Obviously, the orignal holes don't line up now.

Who's done this swap, and what did you do to solve this? Simply move the skid plate back and use the stock holes?
Some sort of adaptor?
Drill new holes in the plate and cobble up some sort of spacer to bolt the mount to?

Probably asking a lot, but I'd love to see a pic of someone's setup to get an idea of what route I'm going to take.

Oh, and there is VERY little room for the front driveshaft, just eyeballing it. The kit says I might need to move the drivetrain centerline a bit, and I think it might be right.
Or just get a smaller diameter shaft for the front...we'll see.
I'll worry about that when I get the transfer case supported.

Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
OlBlueCJ7

I'm running a 700R4/D300 combo, which is similar to the TH350...

I built a completely new crossmember to mount everything, and so far it's working just fine. I welded new 'tabs' for the bushings to bolt to. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it installed in the rig.

I run a D44 up front with outboarded springs, and am able to run a small diameter (1 3/8") shaft up front. When I had the D30, I had to run a two-piece front drive shaft, which was no fun at all.
OlBlueCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
brypten

I got a th350 with a dana 300 in my cj5. with the adapter plates, I had no problem with the skidplate. Got the adapter from advance adapters.

the front driveshaft was a whole other ballgame. I ended up having to have the guys in the machine shop where I work make rework the oil pan for the th350 transmission with a notch in it so that the front driveshaft wouldn't rub against it.
brypten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Okay, got the skid plate installed.

I just bolted the mount on, bolted the skid plate to the mount...which moved the plate back a few inches from where it bolted with the stick trans.

But turns out there were two holes farther back on the frame that weren't being used, so all I had to do was mark the location and drill new holes in the skid plate and bolt it in.

Now I'm going to have to put some spacers under the mount, because the transfer case is almost touching the skid plate...when the engine moves, I'm sure it will hit.

Plus, raising the back of the trans/t-case assy will give a little more angle to the front driveshaft, and it's so close on clearance it could use it.

The rear really doesn't look that steep, but I will let the driveshaft maker decide if it needs a double cardan or some sort of CV setup when I get the final measurments.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
fatkid1983
1982 CJ7 

hey brypten do you have any pics of that notched tranny pan
Unread 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

I am looking at doing this as well and would like pics from all of it includeing the O.P. thanks
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.