Swapping Disc Brakes from 81 Dana 30 to 76 Dana 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Swapping Disc Brakes from 81 Dana 30 to 76 Dana 30

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
PortlandCJ76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Swapping Disc Brakes from 81 Dana 30 to 76 Dana 30

Hi,
New to the forum here and I have appreciated all the great info here. I've read a lot of threads on Dana 30 disc conversions and Terry Howe's write-up as well.

I have a chance to buy a complete 1981 Jeep Dana 30 axle. I want to swap the discs onto my 76 CJ-7. I just installed new bearings on my drum Dana 30 and I want to keep my six-bolt hubs. I don't want to have to buy new bearings, so I don't want to use the '81 spindles (some guys here have mentioned swapping everything forward from the ball joints)

Can I just install the knuckles and rotor assembly from the '81 Dana 30 onto my '76 Dana 30? Or do I need to swap spidnles, hubs, buy new bearings, etc..?

Thank you for your help!

PortlandCJ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

It's not just the 5 bolt lockout that is the difference. Around '79 or so the disc brake caliper bracket switched from the 6 bolt flavor that the old 11" backing plates used over to a 2 bolt. I don't think the 2 bolts line up with the old 6 bolts, so you'll need to go ball joints out. Those bearings might still work, though, as I think the hub itself was unchanged internally other than the 5 bolts for the lockout instead of 6 externally.
Unread 05-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
PortlandCJ76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thank you very much for the info
PortlandCJ76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.