Swapping cases - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Swapping cases

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

Swapping cases

Already had a post about this but didn't get the answer I was looking for... Right now I have a 1980 Dana 300 that needs to be replaced (I think), I know that it is the shorter version of the 300. My question is, will any year Dana 300 swap right in without other issues??? I also have the t176, 258, and a Tom woods rear cv shaft.

Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

CJ 300s should be fairly common since they were used for several years, but seems there was a one year only when they first change to it. You could probably find a later one and swap the guts with maybe the exception of the output shaft. Can yours not be built?
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

I'm sure it can probably be rebuilt but I thought it would be alot cheaper if I just found a good used one... My problem is that the front yoke for the front driveshaft has a tremendous amount of slop and play in it. So I'm not sure if it's fixable or what? I have absolutely zero knowledge on rebuilding one myself
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Could just be a bearing, the rest maybe fine, these things are suppose to be pretty tough. Manual/transfer cases are not that hard to build, basic mechanical operation with a few special disassembly/reassembly procedures in some cases and few clearences to check. Get a book or google the rebuild and then jump in it, its broke now so you really cant do anymore damage and you will learn something even if you never reassemble it. Just a thought.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.