Swapping in a 4 banger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Swapping in a 4 banger

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-28-2002, 10:24 PM   #1
1911shtr

Swapping in a 4 banger

I am in college and commute hundreds of miles
every week. I love my CJ, but the 304 gets horrible gas mileage. I want to swap in a 4 banger while im in college. Which ones would be best for performance. I still want to be able to do well offroad. The jeep 150 or the iron duke? Will any of these match up to a t150 tranny.
Thanks

1911shtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
CoryB

I have to answer your question with some other thoughts (that you probably won't like )

1. Why do you think a 4-banger will get substantially better mileage? You're still pushing a brick through the air. I doubt the gasoline savings would ever pay for the engine swap.

FWIW, I have a 4-banger TJ (3 of 'em actually) and get the same mileage as my friends with 6 cylinder Jeeps. It's an aerodynamic thing, not a fuel efficiency thing.

2. You'll need to regear your axles for the 4-banger. It likely won't push the gears you currently have, especially for the amount of on-road driving you say you do.

My suggestion would be to buy a cheap beater daily driver and use the Jeep for playing. It probably won't cost any more than what you'd spend doing the engine swap and axle regear.

Either that or put a fuel injection setup on the 304. That would help your mileage too.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
Cophgnsnuf

He has a point here I used to own a 98 TJ with the 4 banger in and I had 33s on it I get the same gas milage roughly with my 82 CJ with the 258 and 36s it is with in like 2 miles of eachother..
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:30 AM   #4
Travis

Why not just pick up a cheap little metro or storm or something like that to commute with and keep the jeep the way it is. I would think you could pick one for a little more than what it would cost for the new engine. Just my .02
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.