Swapping 304 to 258 problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Swapping 304 to 258 problem

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Jeff77cj
1977 CJ7 

Swapping 304 to 258 problem

I have a 1977 CJ-7 with the automatic tranny. I've been reading on here where it is possible to swap the 304 out for a 258. I have change the flex-plate, changed the passenger side motor mount. Everything seems to line up great with one exception. I can not get the fan installed. The motor I got was out of a 1982 CJ-8. This motor has the serpentine belt. I even thought about and bought everything to change it out to an electric. Which will not work either. The E-fan is to thick. Got a fan out of a Taurus. I'm still using the 304 radiator. Any suggestions or help? Did I forget something? Here are some things I've done to the 258: Installed an HEI distributer, Installed a high volume low pressure oil pump, changed the wiring around for the integrated voltage regulator.

Thank you,
Jeff

Jeff77cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

I believe you have to move the mounting brackets back 1" to the next set of holes, same goes for the skip plate they are adjustable. The 304 and the 2>5 use the front holes because they are shorter. The serp belt is a good deal and came on west coast vehicles the only thing that you need to remember is the water pump is different it turns backwards from a Vee belt but identical until you look at the impeller, and the fan is also reversed, there are two ways that the serp belt will fit just make sure you install it correctly. Also the taurus/contour fan is almost a bolt on just trim the corners abit. but you are on the right track.
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Jeff77cj
1977 CJ7 

swapping 304 to 258

I will look at that tomorrow. That will put my valve cover right up against the firewall( I do believe). I will have to look at the tranny skid plate and see if there is any room. I do not remember there being anymore holes back there. there is a set of holes on the drivers side to go back. thank you for the information and will let you know what I find out.

Jeff

oh by the way the cj-8 the engine came out of came from the west coast (Utah & Arizona) .
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Forget the electric fan and put a stock mechanical fan on it and never worry about cooling or charging again.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Jeff77cj
1977 CJ7 

Well I went and got a 6 cylinder radiator and installed the stock clutch fan. the clutch clears the radiator, but the blades still hit . My motor mounts as follows passenger side was changed out to the 6 cylinder one. rubber mount was in the center hole. the drivers side is on the first two holes and the rubber mount in the center hole. The Quardratrac rod for high and low from the floor to the transfer case linkage has two holes in it. it is on the back one. question is if I move the engine back an inch that will put my engine mounts off to the side of the steel mount. will I have to move the quardratrac linkage to the front holes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.