swap tilt steering need help with wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > swap tilt steering need help with wiring

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Eighty8mike
1977 CJ5 

swap tilt steering need help with wiring

I just swapped in a 1978 Camero steering column into my 77 CJ5. I have a few mods to do on the shaft nothing major. My problem is the wiring connection. What I need is to know is which wires connect from jeep wiring harness to new column. I think the wires controlling the blinkers hook up just fine. But the larger plugs don't plug into new column. I would greatly appreciate any and all help I can get on this.

Thanks

Eighty8mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do you mean the one ones for the ignition switch? Maybe you need a different switch. I don't really know.

If the new column is a tilt wheel the connectors go on different I think. I'll hae to take a look.

Still got some time to take some pictures of your problem?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Eighty8mike
1977 CJ5 

Well the good news is I was able to take the switch off old column and put on the new column. With doing that I was able to get blinkers to work. However I cant get the key to go to the off position and remove from the switch. So I am taking it to a shop for them to check it out. Thanks for your reply tho!~
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

I dont know if this helps, but for an 80's cj the ignition switch on the column is different for a tilt wheel vers a non tilt (harness still plugs in)
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Eighty8mike
1977 CJ5 

Your right, I dont understand what the difference is but......Ill have to order it from autozone. Thanks for advice!
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The difference is the non-tilt column moves forward when twisting the key clockwise and the tilt column moves to the rear when turning the key clockwise.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Eighty8mike
1977 CJ5 

Ok thanks for explaining the difference. As of now the column is at a local shop. Seems the key didnt want to come out and I have very limited tools and time not to mention zero know how! I will be sure to order that tilt switch.
Thanks
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Eighty8mike
1977 CJ5 

How about this one, anyone know about the parking brake set up? My 77 CJ 5 has no parking brakes, all the cables are there. I think my problem is where all three cables meet, parking brake lever, left and right side. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.