suspension wander - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > suspension wander

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
84Jeepcreep
1984 CJ7 

suspension wander

Hello All,
I have an 84 CJ7, 3"lift, 32 tires. I just replaced the steering stabilizer and front spring bushings. Vehicle still wanders and jumps all over the road. I'm sure it still needs to be aligned. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

84Jeepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

The rear will make you wander as much as the front end. Do the bushes there as well. Check your ball joints, tie rod ends, camber adjustments, shackles and spring hangers. Ive seen bushes replaced without the crush tubes casing all sorts of issues (*cant be seen from the outside)
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

My guess would be the caster wedges weren't installed by whoever did the lift.

Look under the front springs, on top of the axle perches. There should be wedges installed there
to prevent said wander.....

Just my .02
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It's probably worth mentioning "wandering" and "bump steer" are two different, but often related, things.

Wandering is usually due to worn out steering components, as VooDoo said, or improper alignment (usually lack of caster).

Bump steer is caused by improper steering geometry from a poorly done lift. A non-horizontal drag-link is usually the culprit.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
84Jeepcreep
1984 CJ7 

Helps a great deal. I think I'm suffering from a combination of wandering as well as bump steer. Great advice... I look into all suggestions.

Thanks
84Jeepcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

i think you will find there is a Sticky on these issues.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Jeepcreep View Post
Hello All,
I have an 84 CJ7, 3"lift, 32 tires. I just replaced the steering stabilizer and front spring bushings. Vehicle still wanders and jumps all over the road. I'm sure it still needs to be aligned. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
I have a similar setup on my CJ-7.

What is your tire pressure? 24-26psi is favorable for weight of Jeep.

What is the torque setting or how tight are your Spring Shackle bolts & nuts? 24ft/lbs is the norm.

Stabilizer Bar on Jeep? If so, have the link arms been lengthened to compensate for the added lift?

It may or may not be necessary to add degree wedges for the axle to help with wandering issues but that needs to be determined with a alignment to see where your numbers are at. I had added 4° shims to increase castor but it started to wear my front tires abnormal and a front alignment check confirmed this. Removed wedges and installed a 2° wedge on passenger side only. This corrected my castor alignment, weird that only one side needed a wedge to correct castor but its a AMC Jeep, what can I say.

How are the Upper and Lower Ball Joints? Years ago this was the main cause for CJ-7 to wander all over the place with 33" tires and a 4" lift. I was constantly fighting the wheel to keep it straight because of old and worn out Ball Joints. They were so stiff, the front wheels would just hold position when I turned and I would have to jerk it back to keep it straight.
You should be able to jack up the front of Jeep and be able to pull and push the front wheels left and right with some resistance but not to a point where it is impossible to move them by hand.

Check all ball joints and tie rod and drag link connections for worn parts.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.