suspension lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > suspension lift

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
78GoldenEagle
1978 CJ7 

suspension lift

I am in the market for a 4" suspension lift kit. I noticed that the Rough Country is much cheaper than the Skyjacker or Black Diamond. My jeep is for cruising around mostly. Any reccomendations on which kit is the best value?

78GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

The less you pay for a lift kit, the harder the springs and ride will be. RE seems to be the best riding spring. Followed by BD.

If you search, you will see this is a very common question almost answered weekly.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You definetly get what you pay for. The cheaper suspensions arent made as good as the higher end suspensions. My friend had a rough country on his YJ and withing a month it was sagging. I know you said it will just be for cruising but I would look into something a litle more expensive. Dont have to get the best out there but wouldnt go bottom of the barrel.
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

I am also looking for a kit for my Cj. I do not like the idea of purchasing the RE for 1,300 and you don't even get shocks! I found a kit for about 650 and it came with everything needed. Even the drop pitman arm that most do not. It also came with the 2 1/2 wide leafs like the Yj springs. I would either go with rough country, or skyjacker. I hear great things about skyjacker though. I think itís different per jeep. Some say this or that sag and some say they have no problems. Bottom line is you may or may not have issues is just what I have been told point blank. If youíre still not sure, see if you have some peeps in your area with the size lift you want. On ajeep your running and see if they will take you for a quick ride. C how it feels to you. That's the best .2 I can give you. Good luck.
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I had a set of those "cheap" springs, took them off after the front sagged almost 2". I now have a set of of BDS springs. They are well over 3 years old and on their second vehicle, and still going strong.
BTW: If you want a nice ride get a Cadillac!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I have rough country on mine and it is not sagging. It is stiff though but hey its a cj I was not trying to make it ride like a caddy. Anyway from the knowledge that I have obtained all over the net all most all these lift kit co's springs and shocks are all made by the same company. I'm am very happy with my kit. It came with everything you need + RC new springs are double military wrapped. I would however changer over to greasable shackles and main eyes.
By the way I'm not a cheap spender by any means I have a 2800$ lift on my F-150 but it is also my daily driver and the cj is not.

Just my 2cents
83 CJ7 AMC 360, nuttered & team rushed. Dana 44 rear geared & locked, Dana 30 front geared & locked Dana 300 T. Case 4" Tough Country Lift, 1" daystar body lift, 1/2" shackle 35x12.50x15 MT MTZ's on MT classic 2's, Besrk Bumpers, Genright Tube Fenders
NWA_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
I am also looking for a kit for my Cj. I do not like the idea of purchasing the RE for 1,300 and you don't even get shocks! I found a kit for about 650 and it came with everything needed. Even the drop pitman arm that most do not. It also came with the 2 1/2 wide leafs like the Yj springs. I would either go with rough country, or skyjacker. I hear great things about skyjacker though. I think itís different per jeep. Some say this or that sag and some say they have no problems. Bottom line is you may or may not have issues is just what I have been told point blank. If youíre still not sure, see if you have some peeps in your area with the size lift you want. On ajeep your running and see if they will take you for a quick ride. C how it feels to you. That's the best .2 I can give you. Good luck.

Skyjacker, RC, and a few others are the exact same shock.

Just dont get the nitros, they are hella stiff.
83 CJ7 AMC 360, nuttered & team rushed. Dana 44 rear geared & locked, Dana 30 front geared & locked Dana 300 T. Case 4" Tough Country Lift, 1" daystar body lift, 1/2" shackle 35x12.50x15 MT MTZ's on MT classic 2's, Besrk Bumpers, Genright Tube Fenders
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

that's good to know. stiff springs but soft shocks! would not have thought of that. I was going with the nitro shocks too. hey NWA, is that aviator pic of your jeep with the lift? looks great. did your kit come with everything you needed? greasable shackles are not that big of a deal to just add them even though the kits comes with new shackles. kinda lost on the main eyes part though.
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

for a cruiser, i'd get a 2.5 bds or old man emu.
DT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
that's good to know. stiff springs but soft shocks! would not have thought of that. I was going with the nitro shocks too. hey NWA, is that aviator pic of your jeep with the lift? looks great. did your kit come with everything you needed? greasable shackles are not that big of a deal to just add them even though the kits comes with new shackles. kinda lost on the main eyes part though.

That pick has the lift, The kit has everything, and the maineyes are the ones oppsite the shackle should just be some new bushings and a greasable bolt. I got all mine from discountjeepparts.com They are the rugged ridge ones w/ 3/8" lift and included prothane bushings. The lift I got off ebay
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

sweet, I'm looking @ the BDS 4" lift. I'm I okay with the stock shocks that come with the kit? also, did you correct your castor angle?
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

it's likely you'll need to add some shims if you're going with 4". and i'd just run the shocks that come with the kit if it were me.
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

great, just about what I wanted to hear...
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

bolt it up, check your angle, add shims if necessary...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.