Supertop + fiberglass tub = big disappointment... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Supertop + fiberglass tub = big disappointment...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Supertop + fiberglass tub = big disappointment...

Just about finished with installing the next Supertop on my '5, and I must say, I am not happy. I removed the old Replace-a-Top, its hardware, snaps, etc. Used some resin to fill in/seal the old holes. Had to tweak the left rear corner, as the tub made a sharper turn than the rail piece. Right side for perfect. I stopped at the local bolt and nut house and picked up some 1/4"x1" stainless lag screws and some stainless washers to go with them. Predrilled each hole, dabbed some resin in, and screws them down. Followed all the directions, and I sure hope this thing stretches out before summer. I did this in a heated garage above 70*. If it is this hard to remove/install, it is going to be a winter top and I'll figure out a way to use another replace a top on top of this using the snaps...

Door fitment - sucks. The rear of the doors have got to stick out over an inch from the top. The top doesn't go into the vertical part of the door openings, Donna take me some time to properly align, too frustrated and tempered right now to fine tune anything.

Zip-in window design - worst idea ever!!! Trying to start those zippers will drive you to drink. Tucked up inside, with minimal room to move, you cannot insert the zipper end, hold it there, pull the tab of the slide (which always seem to flip up so you cannot get to it) and hold everything together by yourself.

The rails - will have to have some material cut to put between the tub and the rails, as I had to shove them in with the blunt end of a ratchet to get them in place. There just isn't enough space.

And to top it off....

THERE ARE 2 HOLES IN THE BRAND NEW TOP!!!! Somehow in shipping the top got pinched, and in the center front area there are 2 small holes.... gonna have to call for a replacement - I am NOT going thru all of this and spending around $800 for a top with holes, that's why I replaced my old one!!

Sorry about the rant.. just had to vent...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

It's much easier to install the windows before making the bows taut. If you raise the top up all the way before installing the windows, you're doing it wrong.
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
chrisbscott
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
Just about finished with installing the next Supertop on my '5, and I must say, I am not happy. I removed the old Replace-a-Top, its hardware, snaps, etc. Used some resin to fill in/seal the old holes. Had to tweak the left rear corner, as the tub made a sharper turn than the rail piece. Right side for perfect. I stopped at the local bolt and nut house and picked up some 1/4"x1" stainless lag screws and some stainless washers to go with them. Predrilled each hole, dabbed some resin in, and screws them down. Followed all the directions, and I sure hope this thing stretches out before summer. I did this in a heated garage above 70*. If it is this hard to remove/install, it is going to be a winter top and I'll figure out a way to use another replace a top on top of this using the snaps... Door fitment - sucks. The rear of the doors have got to stick out over an inch from the top. The top doesn't go into the vertical part of the door openings, Donna take me some time to properly align, too frustrated and tempered right now to fine tune anything. Zip-in window design - worst idea ever!!! Trying to start those zippers will drive you to drink. Tucked up inside, with minimal room to move, you cannot insert the zipper end, hold it there, pull the tab of the slide (which always seem to flip up so you cannot get to it) and hold everything together by yourself. The rails - will have to have some material cut to put between the tub and the rails, as I had to shove them in with the blunt end of a ratchet to get them in place. There just isn't enough space. And to top it off.... THERE ARE 2 HOLES IN THE BRAND NEW TOP!!!! Somehow in shipping the top got pinched, and in the center front area there are 2 small holes.... gonna have to call for a replacement - I am NOT going thru all of this and spending around $800 for a top with holes, that's why I replaced my old one!! Sorry about the rant.. just had to vent...
Sorry to hear that - I love my Supertop, and it is really easy to take on and off. There are some gaps between the door and the top but it has never been a big deal for me.
chrisbscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Maybe its a CJ5 thing, but I also had a really tough time getting the zippers started on the side windows. I had the frame collapsed and installed it on a warm day and messed with it for hours to get the windows zipped in. Now I don't want to take them out knowing I will have to put them back in.

It will go, just takes a lot of loosening fasteners and tweaking the top.

I am actually fairly pleased with the top once I got it installed. The only part I need to do something about is the upper doors. They are not real tight where they fit in the lower doors and the wind at highway speeds pull the uppers away from the top creating a gap.
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I have a Tiger Top so I can't answer to most of the issues the OP had. However, when I first "fitted" my doors, the first time on the interstate they were flapping out almost 2" at the tops.

I had to put a serious inward bend on the top halves of both doors to get it to stop doing that. It makes them close kinda hard, but they do stay closed.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, now that I have eaten and relaxed a bit... Old Smokie Tennessee Cherries and other adult beverages help calm the nerves at times....

I did have the rear bow released. That was another issue I had - once all the windows are in and all, it is very awkward to try to lift the bow into the lowest hole...

I'm just hoping that time will help, as it will stretch and "freak out" into place for easier use. I do not like how the zippers are set up on the windows though. I had no problem with my Replace-a-Top with its sewn-in windows. Why would zip-out windows be any better? I honestly think that if they would use the Replace-A-Top design, and the only improvement would be the way that the Supertop snaps to the rear bow with the long strip instead of the 3 straps, as that was one of the only issues I had with it - I think that if they could have had the 2 straps from the rear bow to the tub supported better, it wouldn't have stressed the seams as much and caused the cracks in the fabric like it got. I do like the weatherstrip around the doors, as it made for a nice quiet drive on the highway, and the 2-pc doors are nice. I liked the safari-top style of rolling up the windows and just having the 2 straps down, not the 2 corner parts of the top... Oh well.. I guess I'll wait and see how it works this summer.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 03-05-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I had the same problem with my tub corners being a different radius.

Just wait till the door striker bolts start to wobble out of the holes.
and the holes in the bows start to wear out and won't hold the bows in place..
and salt gets in the zippers.
and cloth get stuck in the velcro so the wraps won't stay in place anymore.
and the door handle rusts out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the top...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I threw my soft top away years ago for many of these same reasons.

Save yourself the grief, and find yourself a hardtop for winter, Cutlass.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I love the supertop on my CJ5.
The zip out windows stay on in the winter, then stay hanging in my garage all summer. For this reason, they are still clear and easy to see through after 12 years. I don't have any problems zipping them up as long as the bows are loose.
I did have to bend in the tops of the upper doors to get them to seal against the top, but once that was done they seal pretty good.
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
chrisbscott
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy
I love the supertop on my CJ5. The zip out windows stay on in the winter, then stay hanging in my garage all summer. For this reason, they are still clear and easy to see through after 12 years. I don't have any problems zipping them up as long as the bows are loose. I did have to bend in the tops of the upper doors to get them to seal against the top, but once that was done they seal pretty good.
Yeah my windows aren't on my jeep past april go back on at the end of September
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Lifting the bow is easy if you don't zip that particular zipper down all the way until you raise it. Otherwise you have to raise it from the inside. Yeah, that can cause a back ache.

I love my Super Top and like the others, the windows (at least the back one) come out as soon as weather permits. I don't even own a Bikini top for the Jeep.
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I do not understand how you folks don't use your windows in the summer - it must not be your DD like mine is to me. I don't feel like getting off work at midnight and driving home on soaking wet seats, or having a fried radio or CB, and like that my gauges work...

I just think that if it is their top of the line top, it should be the most durable and easiest to use...

Unread 03-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
chrisbscott
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
I do not understand how you folks don't use your windows in the summer - it must not be your DD like mine is to me. I don't feel like getting off work at midnight and driving home on soaking wet seats, or having a fried radio or CB, and like that my gauges work... I just think that if it is their top of the line top, it should be the most durable and easiest to use...
Mine is my DD and I wear suits at least two days a week! I do use a Bimini top for shade, but if I think it is going to rain I lean the seats forward and I keep a waterproof sea bag with towels in around just in case -
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Radio?

What's that?

Also I have a Windjammer to cut off the cold air ramming you from the rear....

I would also look into lubricating the zippers.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I guess I'm lucky. I took my doors and windows out this last weekend. The top will come off in a few weeks and the bikini top will be on all summer. The soft top probably won't put them back in until the end of November. My Jeep is a daily driver.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.