Superior 1 piece axles bearing kit unavailable. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Superior 1 piece axles bearing kit unavailable.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
rays84cj7

Superior 1 piece axles bearing kit unavailable.

Hello I went to order a bearing kit,Superior part# EV20KIT, for my superior 1 piece axles on my Amc20 axle and it appears they are unavailable. It looks like superior went out of business. I tried the phone number on the website and I just get a constant busy signal. I also went by the address on the website since I was in the area anyways. There is a new business at this site and the man working there said superior used to be there.

What are my options now. I just have the bare axle shafts and empty axle housing ends. I cut the old bearings off the shafts. The kit was supposed to have an inner seal, outer seal, retainer ring, bearing, and a spacer. Im not sure what bearings, spacers, and retainers will work. I guess worst case, I could buy another set of axle shafts. thanks Ray

Last edited by rays84cj7; 06-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: added
rays84cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
S76
1984 CJ7 

Ouch, that's not good.

Don't get nervous though. All of the parts you need are common parts. I'm sure the bearings, the seals and all can be bought at a bearing supplier.

The hard part is figuring what the right numbers are. If you can get a part number off one of the bearings it can be cross referenced.

Try Googlin. You'd be surprised what you can come up with.
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If they're timken bearings, someone will stock them.
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Do you have the spacer ring?

I'm pretty sure the bearing set is Timken # 9. The seals are Jeep parts. The part that MAY give you problem is the retainer ring.

I would call Moser and throw yourself on their mercy and ask them flat out if their set will fit Superiors. Who knows

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
rays84cj7

I dont have any of the parts. I took it apart over a year ago.
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
rays84cj7

I know I can get the seals no problem
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
wm69

Tag for part numbers. I have a set of Superior 1 piece axles in the shop that came (uninstalled) on an extra AMC20 I bought. I was going to put them in when I install a truetrac in the rear of the green Jeep, and needed the bearings/seals. Only thing I have is the shafts and the retainer plates.

Pirate and an Xterra forum both saying the same thing; Superior fell off the face of the earth.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
Pirate and an Xterra forum both saying the same thing; Superior fell off the face of the earth.
Wow. I recently bought one piece axles. I couldn't decide on Superior or Moser.
Glad I chose Moser.
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
rays84cj7

Ok I found the old spacers that go inside the axle next to the inner seals. Now I think I only need to worry about the bearing retainers. From what I've read, The bearing retainer for the superior axle shaft is a machine down version of what comes with Timken Set 9 Bearings. According to this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/su...-needed-741713 The width of the rings are .375", the OD is 1.938, and ID is 1.370. Hopefully I can take the rings that come with Set 9's to a machine shop and have them machined down. Another post says (NOT inside diameter, or outside diameter, but thickness to 0.300" thick, about half of factory Timken Set 9 thickness)

I think there's alot of Superior 1 piece axles out there, so im sure this is going to be an issue for many. I would be interested to know if the Moser retainer and spacer would work. This axle has been sitting in my garage for a long time. I wasnt in a hurry to order the bearing kit because I figured Superior has been around a long time and wasnt going anywhere. Wrong!! It weird that their website is still up.

Last edited by rays84cj7; 06-07-2013 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: added
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Jacoby22
1983 CJ7 

http://autoplicity.com/products/9634...ptartment.aspx

One left in stock!
Jacoby22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Jacoby22
1983 CJ7 

http://mudflaps.com/i-8380566-superi...FfA7Mgodz0EASw

There's 2 available here so you can do both sides. Hope that helps.
Jacoby22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

After I hand grenaded my one piece bearing I bought this kit comes with everything you need. With a genuine timken bearing. Spacer etc all looked to be the same size as the superior one. It's the replacement bearing and seal kit for a crown one piece axle

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52401_100.htm
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^And this specifically fit your SUPERIOR axle?^^^ That would be wonderful news.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Yes this specifically fit the superior axle. Used the 2 seals, spacer, bearing, and bearing retainer (machined one that was 1/2 as thick as what comes with the set 9). Did not use the studs as mine were still fine but they looked to be the same. I guess the knockoff's are good for something
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
rays84cj7

Thank you Thank you!!! Just ordered 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.