Super Top Door Alignment Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Super Top Door Alignment Problems

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Super Top Door Alignment Problems

Hey guys, i just got a super top and installed it a couple of day ago. I got everything set pretty good except for when i put the bow up to the first setting, the top pulls my windshield back and messes up my alignment with the doors. Weve done broken 3 sets of star heads to get the doors loose, i dont know what to do.. I cant keep dishing out 20 bucks a set to get 1 star bit. What have you guys done? Weve tried soaking the bolts with WD40 and everything else weve got but they wont break! Any suggestions?

Chance85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

So I assume you're talking about stock hard doors....
Have you tried pulling the door panels and spraying PB-Blaster on the bolts from inside the door? At least you're breaking the wrench.... I usually strip the bolt head before the tools fail (btw. why buy a full set of sockets... you can buy just the one you need to replace for a few bucks). Are you using an impact wrench? You could use fire and ice to expand/contract the metal. Otherwise you may have to weld a nut on the heads or drill them out.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Looks like the bow just gets the system too tight. This can happen to new tops, especially when its cold and the fabric won't stretch. Drill a couple of new lower holes in your supertop support so the bow can be a a slightly less setting and not put so much pressure on the windshield frame.

All this stuff is man-made and will have slight variances in fit. It could be anything from the windshield to cowl seal, or the entire fabric top being a little too short. Just make some new setting holes, then wait for a really hot summer day to set it to a higher setting when the fabric will stretch a little.

Dave
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Chance,

I just finished posting about my top.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ne.../#post19010297

Check the length of your top, mine was shorter than the old one and it made my windshield stressed too.
chris989604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.