Suggestions on Suspension for 81 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Suggestions on Suspension for 81 cj5

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-02-2002, 02:32 PM   #1
DaveFL

Suggestions on Suspension for 81 cj5

I've gotten myself in a mess. That $300 CJ is turning into a money pit.

What was going to be a minor restoration has turned into a full blown project, and somehow I don't think Im the only Jeep owner thats gone through this.

Im down to replacing the exhisting suspension. Everything is shot on this sucker, and Im sinking more into debt. I need some suggestions on springs and shocks. I wouldnt mind getting 1 to 2 inches of lift but not looking for more than that.

Any suggestions on where to buy or what I should buy would be appreciated.

Pix of my money pit coming soon

Thanks

Dave

Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2002, 02:49 PM   #2
TUFFGRL
1976 CJ5 

Just Empty Every Pocket!

I just got a new 2.5" BDS lift on Friday. I don't really go off road much so I can't tell you about that. I did drive it quite a bit this weekend on the road and I love it. It would probably seem a bit stiff for most people. I consider the rough ride part of the price you pay to drive something like that on the road. One word of warning. I only wanted another inch or two of lift. My old springs were sooo bad that what I ended up with seems more like a 5" lift! FYI...here in Cincinnati I paid $415 for the springs, shocks and hardware kit. I also bought shackle bushings for an extra $15. And then of course I had to have a new steering stabilizer and next.....you know how it is!
TUFFGRL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2002, 03:21 PM   #3
Lil Chris
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your not there yet man. 1 year ago my CJ5 was stock. 6 months ago my CJ had 2.5" susp. and 32" SXs. Now, my CJ is in many pieces and will come out with 2.5" SOA, D44s fr/rr, spool, and 38s. Did I ever dream of doing this, heck no. It all started when a synchro broke in my tranny. Found a deal on the axles. Next thing you know my Jeep is completely torn apart to change just a few things. Good news, tranny is fixed, I have beefier axles, all new bushings, prettier ride. Oh wait, it hasn't been assembled yet. I'm halfway there. Enough of my ranting.

If you want a good lift that will provide a decent on ride performance, good off-road performance look into the Skyjacker soft ride kit. I was runnin Skyjacker springs(2.5") and I was impressed thoroughly. My CJ is/was a dedicated trail rig, but did have to drive it around town for a month while my TJ was disabled. Comfortable ride with excellent off-road performance. And I could clear 32s easily.

Tuffgrl-As far as the BDS springs being stiff, I've heard that BDS recommends to remove one of the leafs and it will help out considerably. Give em a call and ask em about it.
Lil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.