Suggestions for a plow for a 76 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Suggestions for a plow for a 76 CJ5

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
planthead
1976 CJ5 

Suggestions for a plow for a 76 CJ5

Hello all, was hoping someone had some advice on a what to buy for a new complete plow set up for a 76 CJ5 with a 304. I'm just planning on plowing my own drive way and the parking lot of my office, not professionally. The one I have been looking at is a Rocky Road 84"x22" snow plow kit (link is below), but I would love to hear what other are using/have used. Also, when a plow is hooked up on a jeep does it cover the headlights? I was thinking about buying some PIAA 540 Series Plasma Ion 5" Fog Lamps and mounting them on the windshield rather than buying a plow light kit, but if the plow covers the headlights I guess this wouldn't be an option. Thanks!

Snowplow for your Jeep Wrangler or CJ

planthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
newjeepowner

Plow

I live in southern ct near danbury. I have a plow like the one you linked to but I think it is a better gavanized metal model. They are made by snowbear. It has a deflector, skid shoes, and lights (though I never wired up the lights to see if they work).

I only used it 2 seasons for my driveway but I think its a bit more than I need at times.

I'd consider selling it all for around $1100 (including the mounts..I think they are the same for the cj-5 and cj-7-see page 4 here: http://www.snowbearmountoutlet.com/m...-Oct,04,09.pdf).

Email me at z-h0use@comcast.net if interested and I can send some pix.

Last edited by newjeepowner; 10-13-2009 at 06:56 AM..
newjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
BEACHCAMPER
1976 CJ5 

Well I can't offer any info to help you. But I do like this Rocky road setup. And it's not priced to bad also. I am interested in what you end up doing and how you make out. I am considering a plow also but not for this year. Good luck.
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

do yourself a favor also, upgrade the springs, steering linkage, ujoints, hubs and paint everything! plowing beats the hell out of a vehicle and dont let that Cj go to *****
1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel
sweetguardian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Even if it's just your drive and parking lot, getting out to angle your plow will get old pretty old real fast. One of those Snowbear kits have power angle.

Not all the other plows are as hard to set up as they make out. My old Meyers was a hydro electric setup that works very well on the old CJ's. This time aof year they get really expensive.

That setup doesn't look like the plow gets up very high. It probably won't cover your headlights at all. Lighting up your hood with a window mounted light probably would not work very well though. Maybe if your jeep was painted black it would not be bad but if is covered in snow, that would kill your night vision.

The plows you are looking at probably wouldn't need a hub upgrade but stronger springs always help. I when with air shocks myself but my plow weighs over 800#.

Paint everything is right. I founds a new rust spot on my new frame in just 2 years. I think I broke through the topcoat and undercoat when I tightened the bolts up for the steering. Buy some big tubes of dielectric grease and pull apart all your electrical connections and fill the plugs with the grease.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Meyer or Western. Forget the rest.
Unread 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
iagmc
1974 CJ5 

Watch the newer westerns, I assume it is the same with every company cheaper is better and we can charge more because it is new.........
I worked on them, went to factory training, and still don't understand why cheaper is better.
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

planthead where in NY are ya located?

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
planthead
1976 CJ5 

Just wanted to say thanks all for the advice. BigJoe, I am in the Finger Lakes region.
planthead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.