Suggestions needed to help with my 78 cj5s streetability needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Suggestions needed to help with my 78 cj5s streetability needed

Wholesale pricing on raceline beadlocks - only the best atArtec NightHawk JK Front Bumper Pre-Order Special - Free BSeat Saver Trail Towels now available!

Unread 03-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
blakesgst

Suggestions needed to help with my 78 cj5s streetability needed

Hey guys,

I am trying to find a happy medium here if possible, some quick info....

The jeep doesn't seem to have the death wobble I've seen in videos. It will be fine for a minute at 65 mph and then all of a sudden start doing this lazy side to side body roll that wants to get worse unless i slow down to 50 mph, rinse, repeat. Sometimes its fine for 5-10 minutes.

I inherited this ole family cj5 last year and gave it a complete overhaul. Suspension wise, I installed bilstiens, OME YJ springs with a rocky road Yj conversion, it came with shackles that are 5.25 inches long center to center bolt. When i got the jeep it had/has near new 33x12.50 so i was more concerned with how the jeep "looked" lift wise over them but as much fun as it is out in the dirt, i just cant handle the constant wandering above 50 mph. This isn't an issue for a quick trip out to the hills near my house but if i want to take it on a long camping trip it becomes mentally exhausting driving down the freeway, and i really was hoping to take it on long trips!

I have taken it into 2 jeep off road shops, one set my toe and both have "visually" inspected my caster and said it appears fine. I do have 4 degree shims in it, there was none so i recently tried them to see if it would help and it seems it didn't.

Is this just how the old cj5 is going to be with this size lift and tire? If this is to be expected and I decide to lower it, what size shackle should i get, even more to the extreme, would dropping to a 32x11.5 or even a 31x10.5 help a lot?

thanks in advance,

Blake

img_0507.jpg  
blakesgst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
jeepwhore
1984 CJ7 

A visual caster check is as useless as teets on a nun. I would go find a reputable alignment shop and get it verified first. Then start checking things like tie rod ends and wheel bearings and inspect the steering box mount and the area of the frame it attaches to.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
blakesgst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
A visual caster check is as useless as teets on a nun. I would go find a reputable alignment shop and get it verified first. Then start checking things like tie rod ends and wheel bearings and inspect the steering box mount and the area of the frame it attaches to.
Thanks for the reply Jeepwhore,

I forgot to mention i had it up on jacks and inspected the tie rod ends for play as well as the wheel bearings and didn't see or feel any slop. I will try to get it into a shop this week.

Blake
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
jeepwhore
1984 CJ7 

I would check the rod ends again with the wheels on the ground.....turning the wheels with resistance will make any slop more obvious. Lay under neath and watch while someone turns the wheel.

You might also want to re-torque the U bolts.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I would just add that 5.25" shackles are way too long. On a CJ5 I would go no more than 4" shackles. Also there are some great death wobble threads in the CJ FAQs at the top of this forum. You can have much better stearing. I have SOA and 35s on my CJ5 and go down the freeway at 70 with no problem. Your caster should be 5-6*, have someone put an angle finder on it.
Unread 03-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
blakesgst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
I would just add that 5.25" shackles are way too long. On a CJ5 I would go no more than 4" shackles. Also there are some great death wobble threads in the CJ FAQs at the top of this forum. You can have much better stearing. I have SOA and 35s on my CJ5 and go down the freeway at 70 with no problem. Your caster should be 5-6*, have someone put an angle finder on it.
I have been busy with work this week so i havent made an alignment appointment yet BUT, I did a bit more measuring. My front shackles are 5.25 and my rears are 6.5! This is what it took to make my jeep level. I am going to get some shorter shackles and I'll take a look at the ball joints today and report back later.

Thanks,

Blake
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

You can stiffen the shackles by fabbing a web between them and welding it on. That will keep them from racking.
ECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
blakesgst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECJ-7 View Post
You can stiffen the shackles by fabbing a web between them and welding it on. That will keep them from racking.
Hmm, like the ones from, warrior products i think? Bolts on either end with a solid steel brace in the center?

Thanks,

Blake
Unread 03-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

As everyone has suggested, get the Jeep to a proper alignment shop. In the looks department, I would ditch the long shackles and go with stock-sized ones, or as close to that as possible, and see how well the tires clear. Then consider 31" tires if needed.
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
blakesgst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
As everyone has suggested, get the Jeep to a proper alignment shop. In the looks department, I would ditch the long shackles and go with stock-sized ones, or as close to that as possible, and see how well the tires clear. Then consider 31" tires if needed.
Will do Ken, i'll get it in the shop this week. Just planning on getting shorter shackles asap as well.

Blake
Unread 04-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
blakesgst

Just wanted to post an update. I ordered my shorter shackles today and got under the front end of the jeep while the wife moved the steering wheel back and forth. I didn't see any slop/play in the ball joints but I did see a lot of, Flex?, or movement which appears to be coming from the long shackles. It looks like when the wheel is turned the shackle flexes and then the spring and front end kind of shift from side to side. The shackles are extremely tight at all 3 bolts but are of course very long, is this why people are wary of long shackles? I double checked the U bolts as well, super tight and no movement coming from there, No slop or play in the steering box either.

Thanks,

Blake
Unread 04-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesgst View Post
..is this why people are wary of long shackles?
Longer shackles are the cheap, quick, and dirty way to lift a vehicle. People looking for a quick and cheap lift perhaps won't care or understand about the resulting problems.

Longer shackles move the steering box and pitman arm away from the axle, and this increases the angle of the drag link which leads to steering problems. This is a long article and covers other technology in addition to what is seen on CJs, but it has a good basic rule of thumb:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...-system-parts/

"The best one could do is have the drag link parallel with the ground when the vehicle is at rest."
jeep-cj_steering-drag_link_to_knuckle-22.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.