Suggestions on '63 CJ-5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Suggestions on '63 CJ-5?

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
mreagan
1963 CJ5 

Suggestions on '63 CJ-5?

Hey fellow Jeepers, I just bought a 1963 Willy's and it's in pretty good shape. I Have always been ok with mechanics, but I'm stumped on this one.. I drove it around for about a week, and then it just quit going. When I put it in gear and let the clutch out, it just makes a weak sort of grinding sound. It sounds like it is coming from the bell housing? I have checked all my linkage and everything seems to work fine, there is a pto driven winch on the front, and I made sure it was disengaged. Could it be the clutch? If so, do I have to pull the engine or drop the tranny to get to it? I have a V6 engine and a three speed transmission with a high/low splitter lever and a transfer case lever and low and high 4x4 lever, so there are four shift levers coming through the pan. I've had the top end of the transmission open from inside and everything looks good, plenty of gear oil in everything including the differentials. I'm just not sure on this one. Any help?

mreagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The first thing to check is to insure you didn't accidentally pop the t case or the overdrive into neutral.

If that is good, With the trans IN GEAR and the cover off, SLOWLY release the clutch and observe the output shaft (push it back on as soon as things start turning, or you will be wearing some 90WT, or you can drain it if you like). If the input shaft doesn't turn, you have an issue with the clutch. If it does turn, but the mainshaft doesn't, you have a problem with the input shaft, or the countershaft. If the output shaft turns, then....

Drop the inspection cover on the t case and let it drain. Reinstall the transmission cover and put it in gear. Have somebody slowly release the clutch while you observe to see if the transfer case gears are rotating. If not, you will probably have an issue with the planatary's in the O/D unit. This is not an uncommon issue and will require removing the O/D unit.

Don't forget that the boxes will be empty. You may want to pull a battery cable or incapacitate it to keep from accidentally driving it.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.