Suggestion on what to buy. need everything! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Suggestion on what to buy. need everything!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-07-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
humboldt_jeep

Suggestion on what to buy. need everything!

ok im at the point now where i need to figure out what i want to buy and more importantly what are my options. I know i want like 36's as the tires(do baja claws wear out as fast as boggers?). like a 4 to 5 inch lift(I have know idea what my optons are here. i really want some sort of coil suspeston). and as little (or none at all) of a body lift as possible. i want like a 305 ish engien (want are some good models to look for) and a strong powerfull tranny and t-case. and last but not least i want around a dana 44 in the front and dana 60 in rear. what are my options, waht are the prices or web sites i can find out about this sort of thing.
THANK YOU,

Devon Fay

humboldt_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
Hale

I will help out as much as I can:

Rubicon Express 4" lift is suppose to be the best. And then I suspect you could fabricate some shackles that give you additional lift to clear large tires.

AMC does have a 304 ci engine that acutally went into CJs before 82, as well as a lot of Jeeps and AMC models. This would probably be the easiest. There are several strong transmissions available from 3spd to 5spd stock to fabricate to fit. Dana 300 is one tough transfer case but if you need a lower gear then look at aftermarket ones like that Atlas 4:1 from Advance Adapters, perhaps.

There are some places that custom make these axles for CJ7s, however, quite expensive. You could probably find some junkyards, have them rebuilt and cut to fit by a shop for cheaper.

Good luck, and others feel free to add-in and correct me, as I am only trying to think of what I've seen reading before since I haven't ever done any custom work on the Jeep.
Unread 05-07-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Man, you must have hit a lottery or something. All that stuff you're talking about is gonna cost ya mucho $$ and time. If you plan on doing any fabbing yourself, one option is to go spring over with the suspension since you're gonna swap in axles anyways. Go with full width axles and have the front spring hangers mounted outboard of the frame rails. Might even consider picking up a Dana 60/GM 14 bolt combo out of a Chevy 1 ton (I see 'em on eBay all the time for about $1000-1200). Not sure what to suggest for the motor thing.. I'm kinda partial to SBC's so I'd have to spring for a 350 mated to either a T18 or NP435 and a Dana 300. Make sure you keep safety at the forefront in all stages of the buildup. Remember modifying a Jeep has kind of a cascading effect. Mess with the suspension and it affects steering parts and brake parts... etc. Your best friend in this situation is the internet. Hit google searches on Jeep buildups, Jeep lifts, Jeep SOA, Jeep engine swap, Jeep axle swap, Jeep outboard springs.. etc. Arm yourself with as much info as possible before you fire up the torch or start shelling out the cash. I would imagine a buildup of the sort you're looking for could easily cost you into the $5000-8000 range depending on the bargains you find, your mechanical experience, and the amount of work you do yourself. Good luck!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
motoxxxguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Not to flame you here, but you may be in over your head without realizing it yet. You are talking about a complete custom rebuild, with LOTS of fabrication required. I don't know what your mechanical and/or fabrication abilities are, but if they are not pretty damn good, having someone else do this work for you will cost you a small fortune. It would be cheaper and easier to buy one that is already set up like you like it, if this is the case. It still might cost you $15-20k, but that's less than a rebuild like you are talking about will run you if you have someone else do most of the work.
Unread 05-07-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
humboldt_jeep

i love how there is always some one that says that "your over your head" and such. I ve seen my jeep and i know it's not even going to come close to the hardest thing Ive ever done or will ever do. I am fully confedent that i can do this and i plan to do as much as possible, if not all myself. Now thats not to say i dont know its gonna cost alot of money or take a long time but once i do all the work myself and figure out all the problems myself im not only going to have a REALLY sweet jeep but im going to know every bolt on the damn thing.

thanx for the help, any other suggestions?

so if i keep the 300 t-case i could lower my gears in the axels, but would it be better to do both?

also detriot locker in the back and selectable locker in the front sound good? what locker would be good for the front?
Unread 05-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I think motoXX has the right idea here.
You never said what you had to start with, what your abilities are, and what if any experience you have had with 4X4/mechanical equipment. For all we know, you saw a Jeep and you liked it and now you want to do something cool with it.

You asked for advice flat out and that is what you get. If you have ever been to any forum you should know you need to provide too much information then not enough if you want good, clear, and concise answers.

Everyone has an opinion on what to do and everyone who has been there and spent the money and time will say it is a lot of work and that you might be over your head. I will admit when I started out that I didn't know what was in store for me, especially in the areas of what to look for when I bought the Jeep. I got it, got burned in areas and then it ended up costing me in the long run.

My advice, before you start doing all the stuff you have mentioned, make sure you have a solid platform as to where to start from. If you have a crappy frame/body/etc you will end up doing a lot more then you expected.

As for cost, what you have mentioned will cost quite a bit. If you are going to do it yourself and you have a garage and tools, then it shouldn't cost you too much. If you have to buy all that stuff (welders, cut off tools, air tools, etc.) you will be spending a ton of cash as well. Basically fabrication costs money and takes time.

Good luck.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 01:05 AM   #7
humboldt_jeep

ok the thing is i asked what i wanted to know, i dont really want info on things that i didnt ask about. thats all im saying. and again ive never really done anything like this and i know i will be able to do anything to it i need to let me worrie about the money and my abilitys.

thanx to all of you, im really not trying to be a dick

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.