Stupid nutsert q...sorry and thanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stupid nutsert q...sorry and thanks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
ferday
1981 CJ7 

Stupid captive nut q...sorry and thanks

Prepping for an upcoming clutch job, dropped the skid and TC and did some inspecting / cleaning, etc

Spun a captive nut (only one, I feel lucky after reading the forums!) putting the skid back on, it was a total bear, that thing was not happy to get reinstalled

The question-I have 5/6 skid bolts in good and tight, is this something I should worry about...I'm planning on driving the jeep for a week or so till my clutch parts arrive, hopefully the jeep dealer will get me my nutserts in that time and ill fix with the clutch

Sorry for the OCD, I suspect it's fine but asking makes me feel better....and if someone would affirm that a nutsert is indeed the right fix, as I see these are not nutserts but captive nuts...ive read a couple threads on welding nuts back in to the frame but nutserts are simple i replaced a few on my tj and i cant see why they wouldnt work...thanks!

Last edited by ferday; 05-20-2013 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Learned proper stuff
ferday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I broke off 1 or 2 years ago and was still able to drive around for years with only 4 or 5 bolts holding the Skid Plate on. I was able to drill out the old nuts and weld in new ones which is common on an old CJ frame.

There were also a couple of broken nuts for the stabilizer bar that were repaired with nutserts purchased from McMaster-Carr.com and the nutserts are just as good as the weld in type. They hold the cast iron bracket you see in the picture below, behind the steering gearbox bracket. Its under a lot more stress then a Skid Plate bolt.

You should be fine.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

I agree with Keith I wouldn't sweat running 5/6 skidplate bolts. One thing to check for as it happened to me recently was that one of the frame welded nuts became stripped out slightly such that I could thread it in and once it closed up I could not put any torque on it. I just tapped the nut up one size and went with a larger bolt. My first thought was that the nutsert had broken loose. Much easier fix.
ADDZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
ferday
1981 CJ7 

Mine might be stripped, it threaded in but just spins at the end instead of tightening. Ill try a tap first, the nutserts are in the mail anyways....

Thanks guys, it makes me feel better LOL
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
TJs83CJ7

Keith,
What size and type of nutserts did you purchase? I've never use these but it seems like a great fix for some of my broken nuts in the frame. I don't want to buy something to soft or that will rust out just as quick. Great thread.
TJs83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
ferday
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs83CJ7 View Post
Keith,
What size and type of nutserts did you purchase? I've never use these but it seems like a great fix for some of my broken nuts in the frame. I don't want to buy something to soft or that will rust out just as quick. Great thread.
I ordered stock TJ nutserts from the dealership, I think they may be 1/2" but I don't have them yet. They were $8 per
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Fastenal which has stores all over the US carries all kinds of nutsert's and when ordering them they come in both steel and aluminum, thread and pitch and also the thickness of the base metal that they are being installed in.
When I install them I take a piece of flat stock and drill a hole slightly larger than the bolt I then press down on the flat stock while tightening the bolt and this usually keeps the nutsert from spinning.
I have also used an impact wrench with the flat stock to set the nutsert's and its surprising how much torque they can take.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs83CJ7 View Post
Keith,
It depends on what thread size bolt was originally used that screwed into the frame. I know I purchased 3/8-16 for repairs and used the ones for flush mount or below the surface like pictured below. It also depends on the thickness of the material they will be going into, their are several to choose from @ McMaster-Carr.com

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.