The stupid horn button again! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The stupid horn button again!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 02-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
tylersnyder
1983 CJ7 

The stupid horn button again!

I know this thread happens all the time and there is constantly people needing some help with their horn because it won't work. When i purchased my jeep the PO had apparently had horn issues as well and had taken out the spring, button that goes through the canceling cam, and spring retainer (i think thats what they call it). I have read a hundred threads on here but haven't seen one that i need yet so i'm coming to you guys for help. I purchased some NAPA parts for a generic GM column horn spring button, etc. as i found will work from another page with soemone who had the same problems as i have. The issue is, i don't have any idea how they are suppose to go through the canceling cam. Do they go in from the top or do you have to remove the canceling cam and put them in from the bottom coming up through?

If someone has a picture or can take a picture of exactly where and how these three little pieces and the canceling cam should look i would greatly greatly appreciate it. I may have an issue with my canceling cam also so i'm just hoping someone will post pictures to help me figure this out!

Thank again!

Unread 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
jranger35
1983 CJ7 

"Do they go in from the top "--If I remember correctly, yes. You have the cancelling cam, then you put the spring in the only hole in the cam from the top, and then you push the horn contact/button into the spring in the cancelling cam. The contact should fit inside the spring, and the flanged part should be pointing away from the hold in the cam (so that the flange rests on the cam hole when the spring is all the way compressed) Don't let go quickly, or it will go flying across your garage. I know it looks like the only way to get it to stay is to remove the metal on the bottom of the cancelling cam, but that's not going to let the contact actually make contact with the metal that makes the circuit. There's a photo here, but it doesn't have the sequential order of installing the parts in the cam that you're looking for: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/or...g-wheel-13946/

Hope this helps, it's been a couple of years since I had to do this to pass state safety inspection.
jranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
jranger35
1983 CJ7 

John Strenk just posted his column tech in this thread, pics on it might be helpful: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...embly-1485261/
jranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i finally got mine to work on my 1984 cj-7, but they are not heavy duty switches.

if you are going to use a horn that pulls more amps than the small std horns you are going to need a relay and just use your horn button to activate the relay.

i have an a hoga horn on my old jeep (for the grandkids) but every so often i have to change out the horn relay as this horn draws much more power than the orginal horn.

steering wheel horn parts are very Delicate (light duty)

wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
tylersnyder
1983 CJ7 

well thanks for the replies. The pictures in the links you guys put up are different from most that i have seen before. I noticed in John post that he has with all the parts laid out that i don't have all of the little pieces. I have the spring, the black plastic piece, and the long metal "button" but i don't have the other small plastic piece so i'm not sure what that is or where to get it. I'll have to tear back into it this weekend and see what i can figure out. I also noticed that when i dropped these in from the top of the canceling cam that there is a very tiny groove cut into the canceling cam sidewall of the tube portion. The small black bushing piece made of plastic that came with my NAPA horn button kit has a very tiny nipple sticking out that looks like it should slide in that groove in the canceling cam tube but it doesn't make sense because that would hold the spring in a compressed situation... Am i barking up the right tree at all???

I know this is difficult to explain without pictures but i'll have to wait until this weekend to get that part done... probably Sunday because we are going to Cabelas on Saturday!
imag0011__2.jpg  
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well that picture is had it right.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.