Stuck in 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stuck in 4WD

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-06-2002, 10:21 PM   #1
CJ7Eric

Stuck in 4WD

Anyone hear of their stick to change into 4WD getting stuck? For some reason the other day I put it in 4WD locked the hubs and today I can't get it out. I have tried psushing real hard and visibly I see no problem below. Any ideas?

CJ7Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 10:22 PM   #2
CJ7Eric

BTW: I have an 83 CJ7.
Unread 02-06-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
Jeep CJ5

You need to try and release the tension on the transfer case. I usually used reverse on a loose road surface. I had a finicky 85 CJ7 that took a wee bit of finesse to get out of 4wd.

Do not use brute strength.

Anyone more tech savvy have any more insight?
Unread 02-06-2002, 11:32 PM   #4
jeepster18_88

First, I would unlock the hubs if they aren't already. This might take off some tension. If that doesn't work and the reverse thing doesn't work, lift the entire jeep off the ground. Put in on jackstands, crank it up and then try to put back in 2wd. If all this fails, lower the jeep, hold the transfer shifter with a slight pressure, put it in 1st gear or reverse and slowly let out the clutch while pulling on the shifter. Try this and it may slip out. Hope it helps. Let me know of your success.
Unread 02-07-2002, 07:53 AM   #5
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

I usuallt stop on some soft beach sand so gears can float around a bit to pop it out.
Mine is a manual trani, sometimes you can let the clutch out so you roll forward then press the clutch down and pull the lever back. The idea is the same, take tension off the drivetrain so the meshed gears can release.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2002, 11:13 AM   #6
Viper Red CJ

The same thing happened to me.
I have a DANA 300 Transfer case, and I was stuck in 4wd. I popped it in reverse, but couldn't move it very far, and it didn't help. What solved my problem was using the engine as a brake (decelleration) to put reverse torque on the transfer case, and it shifted back into 2wd without a problem.
Viper Red CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
MR.CJ-7

All are good tips. I have used them all from time to time. Seems the D300 binds up some times. The deceleration trick seems to work best for me.
Unread 02-11-2002, 08:29 AM   #8
CJ7Eric

HI all. I tried all of these tricks and the one that worked was the deceleration trick. It took some time before it actually worked but I got it out of 4WD. Its kind of a weird little thing. Thank you all for your help.
Unread 02-11-2002, 08:34 AM   #9
Guy Hollister

I have this problem all the time and also not much easier getting it into 4WD either .... is this the famed tranny windup ? and requires reversing for some 200 yards to rid it ? Or am i on the wrong track here ?

I am sick of sitting there for 5 mins while traffic builds up !

g
Unread 02-17-2002, 10:56 PM   #10
Cophgnsnuf

I have had this problem several times with my 82.. I find that putting it is 1st gear and slowly letting out on the clutch at the sametime as trying to put it back in 2 wheel works best for me..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.