Stripping Clear Coat From Chromed Steel Rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stripping Clear Coat From Chromed Steel Rims

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Stripping Clear Coat From Chromed Steel Rims

My 85 Jeep CJ7 Laredo has the original factory rims but the clear coat is twenty eight years old. I have polished them and polished them with 0000 steel wool, 0 steel wool, and they show great promise. It is not removing all the clear coat, especially in recessed areas I can not scrub/polish. I have tried Bix TUFF-JOB Remover (Aircraft, Auto Epoxy, Marine) with little satisfaction. Oh, and I am tired of rubbing/polishing, .
What's a better product to use ? What's a good power tool to use ?
Thanks.

Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I just removed the clear from my chrome wagon wheels (or should I say the wheels that I just sold) with aircraft remover. Spray it on the wheel, wait 5 minutes and wipe off with a sponge (I used a platic spackle knife to get the tough stuff).
Trust me, the stuff works with no damage to the chrome finish. Just be sure to use it outside and wear protection......
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
BubbaK
1983 CJ7 

I used a product from Ace Hardware by "Klean Strip" KS-3 EZ stripper... I unmounted the wheels from the Jeep. Unbolted the center caps. Painted on the stripper with a paint brush. Scrubbed the surface vigorously using a medium steel wool. Then got the hard to reach crevices with a HARD BRISTLE TIRE BRUSH. Then I pressure washed them clean. I repeated the process again to get the remnants off. Mine came out spotless. And, my rims were from an '83
BubbaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I would stay away from using a fine tip with the power washer. I used one on a set of wheels that I had and some of the chrome flaked off
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Oily
1985 CJ7 

It was suggested on my Fiero forum to use oven cleaner.
Simply amazing ! I know I spent two hours working on two rims. Only to need more and more work/rubbing, especially in the recessed areas. So I sprayed oven cleaner on them. It foamed up white, as normal. I could see the stuff work. Where there was still old coat, the white foam started to turn yellowish brown. I left it to work for a couple of hours, as per oven directions. Then I blasted them with my pressure washer. Came out like new. I then did the other three wheels. Between spraying on the oven cleaner and pressure washing the rims, I spent probably 15 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
I would stay away from using a fine tip with the power washer. I used one on a set of wheels that I had and some of the chrome flaked off
I have seen that happen with cheap chrome jobs, even bumpers. I did not use a fine tip, but was ready to. My 40 degree spray tip did the job just fine. I can testify that OEM Laredo rims have a quality coat of chrome on them. My 28 year old rims do not even have any rust on them. The CJ is rust free though, having always been in Texas (away from the coast).
I tell 'ya, try oven cleaner.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I when to napa, the tech in the paint dept sold me some material to clean the pealing coating off my old 1984 Jeep wheels.

then put a heavy coat of wax on them.
they looked much better, but it was some effort.
jeep-tire.jpg

wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.