Stretch CJ5 with Steering Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stretch CJ5 with Steering Woes

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Keith_b00ne

Stretch CJ5 with Steering Woes

I have CJ5 in which the front axle has been 4 linked and pushed forward significantly. (Not sure exactly how many inches from stock) It is so far forward the track bar mount is only 6 inches or so from the front of the frame. The issue is that the CJ is currently full hydro steering and I am trying to convert it back to a steering box. I would like to put the Jeep back on the road. I see no way to get a steer box back on the Jeep without redoing the entire front end. Has anyone seen any creative steering solutions for stretched Jeeps that I might be able to use?

Thanks for your help.

Keith_b00ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Keith_b00ne

Here are a few more tid bits.......I estimate that we pushed the front axle out 12" to compensate for the tires. I am running 38". There is a winch on the front of the Jeep and the frame can't be extended any more than what it is without looking weird.
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
papa355
1977 CJ7 

it sounds pretty wierd now......lol. j/k

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
John N
1981 CJ8 

What front end are you using? Can you run steering arms that put the tie rod and drag link behind the axles? Then you could mount a steering box in-board and/or face the pitman arm reversed, facing forward.

Just some thoughts.....
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Keith_b00ne

Just a quick followup to my old thread. We were able to make a 1987-1995 Astro Van steering box with forward facing pitman arm work on this project. Highly recommend it to others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.