Strengthening Stock Tie Rod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Strengthening Stock Tie Rod

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Strengthening Stock Tie Rod

So I bent my tie rod all up this last trip in Moab. I have a second factory tie rod sitting in my parts pile. I am saving up for a heavy duty one with a tie rod flip, but that is 2-3 months out.

Can I make my factory one stronger? Sleve it with another piece of stock? If so what size tube?

1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
TKFireman
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

When I bent mine, I straightened it then sleeved it with black iron pipe from the hardware store, forget what size but it fit perfect. I drilled holes down the pipe and plug welded it. It has to end a little short to leave room for the clamps that tighten up on the TRE. I'm sure you could find a stronger pipe to use like DOM, but at that point you might as well just make your own heavy duty one. The black iron pipe was cheap, easy to get, and made it stronger than stock.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman
When I bent mine, I straightened it then sleeved it with black iron pipe from the hardware store, forget what size but it fit perfect. I drilled holes down the pipe and plug welded it. It has to end a little short to leave room for the clamps that tighten up on the TRE. I'm sure you could find a stronger pipe to use like DOM, but at that point you might as well just make your own heavy duty one. The black iron pipe was cheap, easy to get, and made it stronger than stock.
I did the same only used tube, not DOM, just regular 1/8" wall stuff . I cut slots with a 1/4" grinder and plug welded it that way. I also welded it at both ends

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I just did mine with the black iron pipe not long ago.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
titomars
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

In the old days doing fleet work back when most P/U's and bigger trucks were beam axles. We used to stitch weld a piece of angle iron across the tube. It did two things, salvaged a bent tie rod back into service and strengthen it at the same time. a piece of pipe/tubing works better for strengthening but you will play hell straightening a rod out and get it down a piece of pipe.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Not sure about the USA but down here any welding on the steering arms is illegal and the car would be defected if you did as discribed. Is the US similar (officially)? I know what can be done and works but interested to hear if there is a legal issue over there with doing this.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
titomars
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Not sure about the USA but down here any welding on the steering arms is illegal and the car would be defected if you did as discribed. Is the US similar (officially)? I know what can be done and works but interested to hear if there is a legal issue over there with doing this.
It is illegal to do that on commercial trucks now a days. Probably is here in the states that have annual safety inspections for private vehicles too. I was talking 30 years ago.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

We don't have inspections or emissions testing here. Plus, unless it fails and causes an accident, law enforcement is not going to know the difference. I'd never weld on a Pittman arm, as they are cast. Just the tie rod and drag link.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
We used to stitch weld a piece of angle iron across the tube. It did two things, salvaged a bent tie rod back into service and strengthen it at the same time. a piece of pipe/tubing works better for strengthening but you will play hell straightening a rod out and get it down a piece of pipe.
That's what I was going to suggest, since it's only for 2-3 months. But I doubt it would pass inspection if that falls in the same time frame.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

You can straiten the stock tie rod pretty easy. Its not that thick. I did it with my bench vise. Clamped it in the vise right before the bend, then bent it strait by hand. Rolled it on the floor to make sure it was strait. Any adjustments, in the vice it went. It's not rocket science.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
titomars
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
That's what I was going to suggest, since it's only for 2-3 months. But I doubt it would pass inspection if that falls in the same time frame.
I would guess it depends on the OP's state and if they even do inspections.
California and Nevada don't inspect other than smog

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.