Strange wiring problem, I need help guys!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Strange wiring problem, I need help guys!!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
nanks79cj5
1979 CJ5 

Strange wiring problem, I need help guys!!

ALright, so when I bought my 79 cj5 the only problem with it other than bearing and axles and rust was that there was a short in the turn signals so they had been unplugged. The PO thought that the short laid within the switch so that gave me a starting point, I bought a new(ish) turn signal switch and replaced the old one, when I plugged it in and tried the signals only the right front worked! Before I went to town to pick up new bulbs for the three that did not work I turned my head lights on and noticed that my left (drivers ) side parking lamp no longer worked, so i went and got new bulbs and still nothing in the right parking lamp, I replaced the socket, and I am still not getting any juice to the right front parking lamp, where as I was before I installed the new turn signal switch!!! So now I have no idea what could have happend or where to start, any advice? thanks: Nank

Edit: Sorry guys I meant the left front parking lamp not the right

nanks79cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
hybridmoments
1978 CJ5 

Check the ground on the actual light.
hybridmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
nanks79cj5
1979 CJ5 

I have checked the ground on the both the parking lamp and the headlight they seem fine????
thanks
Unread 09-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
hybridmoments
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanks79cj5 View Post
I have checked the ground on the both the parking lamp and the headlight they seem fine????
thanks
You have a voltmeter? You should invest in one and see where the disconnect is. If you are getting voltage to the light then just try swaping a bulb from the other parking light and see if it lights up.

There's a good chance the grounds are bad though FYI> Also check the connections on the back of the gauge cluster.
hybridmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Cjcpdo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a mouse chewed your wires up. If all the grounds are good I would start tracing wires.
Cjcpdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You can get bad grounds, worn out light fittings, chewed cables, fried relays etc. As you have now discovered just swapping parts does not necessarily fix an electrical issue. However do not be docuraged, those parts would have broken at some time anyway.

The only way to get it to work is to be methodical and find where you have voltage and where you have continuity.

I would start at the light fittings and look for voltage. Then go back to the relays then the switch and also test the cables in between for continuity once you have stablished how far back in the circuit you have voltage .

You will need a test light and a wiring diagram and be VERY methodical. A meter is useful but with a $5 test light and a longish lead you can get these circuits tested.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
nanks79cj5
1979 CJ5 

alright thanks guys, i will trace wires tomorrow evening, and would the wiring diagram in the chiltons guide be sufficient or should i google one?
Unread 09-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Cjcpdo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Never looked at chiltons, if it tells you wire color it should help plenty.
Cjcpdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
You can get bad grounds, worn out light fittings, chewed cables, fried relays etc. As you have now discovered just swapping parts does not necessarily fix an electrical issue. However do not be docuraged, those parts would have broken at some time anyway.

The only way to get it to work is to be methodical and find where you have voltage and where you have continuity.

I would start at the light fittings and look for voltage. Then go back to the relays then the switch and also test the cables in between for continuity once you have stablished how far back in the circuit you have voltage .

You will need a test light and a wiring diagram and be VERY methodical. A meter is useful but with a $5 test light and a longish lead you can get these circuits tested.
Sorry to highjack!

Bagus, so you're saying you can test voltage and continuity with just the screwdriver type test light ?
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanks79cj5 View Post
alright thanks guys, i will trace wires tomorrow evening, and would the wiring diagram in the chiltons guide be sufficient or should i google one?
Try this one. When I rewired I found it to be a life saver compared to Chiltons.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/image...agram-1978.pdf

For the actual 1979 diagram, just change the year in the link.
skizriz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj5 , headlights , parking , wiring for lights

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.