Strange T176 mounting question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Strange T176 mounting question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Strange T176 mounting question

So before we get started, I am about to go into work, and due to weather, I am unable to crawl under the Jeep outside to really dig into things and check it out.

Working with a late '79 CJ7 258/t-176/d300, D30/Ford 9"

was originally equipped with a t400 trans

When I was last under the newly acquired CJ, I saw that the PO, evidently during his tranny swap, bolted the trans to the motor, and relocated the skid plate WAY far forward on the frame. Had to drill completely new holes in the frame, and to make it that much nicer, he also cut some large enough holes in the tub floor to get to the other side of the 10" bolt running through the frame. Trans and t-case are still appearing to be seated appropriately in the skid plate, but it makes no sense that he would have had to move it so far forward. The shifter is also very close to the front of the trans tunnel plate cover opening, and there is no tunnel plate cover. 258 seems to be in the correct spot, mounts look right. Am I missing something? Again, I haven't dug too deep in there yet, but is it possible that this is simply a matter of the wrong trans mount causing this? I would really like to put the skid plate back in it's proper placement where it doesn't look so bad and have such an overhang on the sides where the frame narrows out. Would also like everything to just be in it's proper place and connected the right way. Also gonna need to get a clocking ring for the D300 I believe as he had to do some significant body "trimming" (read hacking) to get the twin stick on the t-case to work. Went way into the pass side floor (I would say about 3" down the side of the trans tunnel.

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Wow, nobody? Or is it too simple and I am just not seeing it?

Unread 02-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I recently had to change skid plates to fit my 86 drivetrain into a 78 frame and found that the skid plate does indeed overhang the frame by about an inch on each side.

The skid plate also has to be far enough forward that the tranny mount fits almost to the rear edge of it.

I got lucky and there were bolt holes matching up the slots in the skid plate, but on the old frame I took the plate off of all the bolts snapped off so I could see someone having to drill and install new ones which may have happened to yours.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, when I converted from a T-150 to a T-176 I had to move my skidplate froward also. There are extra holes in the frame to do this. Many times the holes are caked with rust and hard to find .

These are were the tranny mount bolts should be in if installed properly.

Here are were the shifters line up.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
danheit
1979 CJ7 

wow, mine looks absolutely nothing like that. I need to go snap a quick picture so I can post on here.

Pics:
Rear most mounting hole in the frame

Overhang on frame:

Inside location of shifters:

Side view of plate on frame:

Skid plate is very hacked up to allow clearance for front drive shaft, as well as rear drive shaft and exhaust. The PO actually had to weld a piece of steel across the skid plate to keep it from breaking in half.

Last edited by danheit; 02-08-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.