strange starting issue at the key switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > strange starting issue at the key switch

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
joes1982CJ

strange starting issue at the key switch

the 84 scramber w/258 i have been working on has been having some starting issues and im hoping you all can help.

basically what happens is this,,, i turn the key to the start possition and it cranks and doesnt fire and when i give up and release the key from the start possion is fire and runs perfectly. this happens weather i crank it for 2 seconds or 10 seconds, wont fire until i start the release the key front start.

strange thing is this, it only does this when its warmed up, if its a cold start it works just as it should ( it will fire when im holding the key in the start possition ) ..

there is another twist here,,,
if i start this thing up after its been sitting over night or something it will idle fine on the driveway then suddenly just die. so once this happens i go to start it and thats when the key switch issues comes about. i recently swaped the stock cab out to the howell efi set up and it still does this.

could it be thats the ignition switch is bad? does any of this add up to something anyone can think of? im thinking of installing a new ingnition switch thing,,, i have read that its on the bottom of the column or something. does anyone know a good place to buy one?

thanks in advance

joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

At first I'm thinking starter solenoid myself. The starter solenoid should supply power to the ignition coil when cranking. THis is done to add full power to the coil by by-passing the resistor to the coil. There may be parts of the solenoid it's not making contact. If the post on the ends of the solenoid get twisted when tightening the wires then one side of the solenoid could be sticking up not allowing the contact ring to seat all the way. It could also get stuck on the way down to make contact. However it will not cause a problem with the jeep just dieing at idle.

However an ignition switch could also cause a problem with it just dieing or starting. The ICM will only get power through a resistance wire fed from the starter solenoid and that may not be enough to fire the spark. When the key is released it makes a better contact with the terminals that finally supply power to the ignition system. Any thing else not working properly when the jeep dies?

So the ignition switch could cause both problems so I might suggest testing or replacing that right first.

Just about any auto parts store wll have one. They are different between tilt and non-tilt steering columns.

Two screws hold them on and a rod connects it to the key cylinder. Pretty easy to replace and adjust .
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
joes1982CJ

solenoid definatley makes sense. everything else "seems" to be working ok when the jeep dies,, not really sure what you mean? all the guages still seem to read correctly and the lights etc, once it dies, nothing out of the norm. i cant see anything else electrical that is acting up.

thanks for the response
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I'll have to check but some circuits run off a different section of the Ignition switch so if one section fails then the rest could still be working.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
joes1982CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I'll have to check but some circuits run off a different section of the Ignition switch so if one section fails then the rest could still be working.
sounds good, if you happen to check let me know

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.