Strange question about idle problem - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Strange question about idle problem

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #106
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
NO-NO screwdriver etc!..............................
That will do harm to the 'puter. There was, at one time an AMC notice about do'n just this.
Use an inductive timing light to check for spark.
The coil should be a little hotter to the touch, than you can hold is all.
LG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
By following my procedure while watching the accelerator pump squirt.

LG what in the world are you talking about? Unless your really stupid, will you blow up anything computer related. And that involves removing the coil wire from the coil and turning over the engine and having a spark jump out of the coil center and zap the green wire on the coil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
There was a TSB sent to NOT do this with the direct fire to block as it could damage a sensor/'puter/etc . THAT'S WHAT I'M TALK'N ABOUT!
I'm also talking about intermittent ground arcing("leaking")from old spark plug wire due to high resistance from the old wires. this will cause a coil to over heat as you are 'shorting' the coil.
BTW, best to do the 'test' with an old spark plug touching the block and not a screwdriver jammed into the plug wire.
LG

I assume "your' means, someone trying to jump a spark to the negative on the coil. Not directed to anyone in particular.

I have read about this in my Chevy Astro FSM wich has a GM HEI distributor.

At one time the procedure to check to see what cylinder is misfiring is to pull the wires on each cylinders one by one.
Unfortunately the spark can jump to various points inside the distributor because it's close to ground inside the distributor and the spark is so big.
The actual test says to ground each spark plug wire one by one so no spark can jump around inside the distributor.
It can actually burn a hole through the rotor to ground to the distributor shaft.
Not to mention jumping to various points on the ICM inside the distributor.

I'm not sure a timing light will actually show the quality of the spark being generated. Just if some energy is traveling through the wire.

I actually have used a small engine spark tester without any problem on the CJ.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #107
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

And yet another site says only on Ford and certain cylinder are you not to remove the park plug wires but it's OK of GM, Chysler and AMC.

Go figure.
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #108
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
And yet another site says only on Ford and certain cylinder are you not to remove the park plug wires but it's OK of GM, Chysler and AMC.

Go figure.
John, IIRC and being a student of CRS.....The AMC issued TSB I remember reading(can't find it in my files just yet)said something about never remove'n the #1 plug on the 6 or 4 cyl eng. on late model CJ's.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #109
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk

Go figure.
If its wasted spark I can see major problems. (Which is one coil and two spark plugs).

If one pulls the high voltage wire out of the ignition coil it will jump to the ground terminal and blow up whatever is controlling the spark. ICM, PCM.

My mopar blew through the rotor once just through normal ware and tare once. That was a bugger to trouble shoot it would idle and drive lightly loaded. Any load would misfire and act like a fuel problem.

Using a screwdriver to watch the spark color at 1/4 inch is how I've tested for a weak or bad coil since I've been driving.

Is AMC calling late model 4 and 6 cylinders their bendix fuel injection engines. If so I can see them not wanting the #1 plug wire pulled. They may have a wider space on their reluctor denoting #1 cylinder. And pulling the plug wire may mess up the injection cycle, or mess with the misfire detector.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #110
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Also good chance of a 'cross-fire' from one wire to the next.
Easy to ck. Park in dark garage and spray the s'plug wires with VERY soapy water. IF the issue is in the wires, you will see & hear the arcing.
Also, check under the dizzy cap for tracking from one post to the next.
LG
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #111
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits

There was a TSB sent to NOT do this with the direct fire to block as it could damage a sensor/'puter/etc . THAT'S WHAT I'M TALK'N ABOUT!
I'm also talking about intermittent ground arcing("leaking")from old spark plug wire due to high resistance from the old wires. this will cause a coil to over heat as you are 'shorting' the coil.
BTW, best to do the 'test' with an old spark plug touching the block and not a screwdriver jammed into the plug wire.
LG
The coil gets shorted everytime its told to spark.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #112
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The coil gets shorted everytime its told to spark.
Not really......That is the WHY of the resistence built in the wires and plugs.
IF, the wires have to much resistence to jump the plug cap, it WILL find a short(pun-intended)cut to gnd. It's what ele does.......
LG
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #113
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Just a note on the return to tank line, make sure its connected at the tank.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #114
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

Well guys its been a long journey to get this thing fixed. After all the help i have learned a ton and am way more knowledgeable than i would have ever thought. I took the cluster out and cleaned it a second time and i cleaned the float bowl out, put everything back together and it seems to run great now. i have driven it on several trips to the store beach etc. all over 20 min drives and it hasn't even acted like it wanted to cut off. i think the idle is set high and it just needs to be turned down abit. Im pretty sure there wasnt just one thing going on here but a multitude of problems that needed to be worked out, but thanks to all you guys i got it done. Thanks so much for the help.
ryancrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #115
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Thats great. I just went through the same thing. Just a bunch of piddley crap that frustrates the heck out of you at the the time. But when you get it all right you have learned a lot and its rewarding. I guess thats a CJ thing! Otherwise we would own a jk right?
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #116
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.