Strange question about idle problem - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Strange question about idle problem

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #91
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

When it's idling I don't see any fuel, so no dripping fuel. When it dies what is the best way to check for spark?

ryancrotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #92
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancrotty
When it's idling I don't see any fuel, so no dripping fuel. When it dies what is the best way to check for spark?
Pull a spark plug wire, jam a screwdriver in the end and hold it 1/4 inch away from metal while someone tries to start it. If no spark I'd concider replacing the coil. Grammys I thought had two wires on the plus terminal. But if you read 4 or so volts from the plus terminal to ground while the engine is running the coil is not overheating from getting full voltage.

If you have spark depress the gas pedal a few times and see if fuel squirts out the accelerator pump nozzles. Each squire should be a long strong squirt. Do a few.

If nothing comes out or its weak in the beginning then goes to nothing I'd look at the fuel filter, fuel pump, vacuum building up in the gas tank, or vapor lock. I hope your using the factory (1 inlet and 2 outlet) fuel filter.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #93
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Pull a spark plug wire, jam a screwdriver in the end and hold it 1/4 inch away from metal while someone tries to start it. If no spark I'd concider replacing the coil. Grammys I thought had two wires on the plus terminal. But if you read 4 or so volts from the plus terminal to ground while the engine is running the coil is not overheating from getting full voltage.

If you have spark depress the gas pedal a few times and see if fuel squirts out the accelerator pump nozzles. Each squire should be a long strong squirt. Do a few.

If nothing comes out or its weak in the beginning then goes to nothing I'd look at the fuel filter, fuel pump, vacuum building up in the gas tank, or vapor lock. I hope your using the factory (1 inlet and 2 outlet) fuel filter.
NO-NO screwdriver etc!..............................
That will do harm to the 'puter. There was, at one time an AMC notice about do'n just this.
Use an inductive timing light to check for spark.
The coil should be a little hotter to the touch, than you can hold is all.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #94
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

My fuel filter doesn't have the double on one end it is just the single. If I switch it where would I hook u the second one on top since I dont have a factory air cleaner. Could this cause it to shut off when hot and need to sit. Would this have any effect on the coil getting hot? Is that even a problem? Should it get hot? Every one I had in there is getting hot, the coil in there now has only been ran 20 min.
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #95
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

Ok so it being hot is normal, it most likely is getting spark everything now is new that would have to do with spark.
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #96
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Have you replaced the cap/rotor and s'plug wires?
If so-Hope your cap has brass contacts and NOT alum.
Old plug wires will 'ground-fire' and that will cause a coil to over heat.
LG
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #97
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Since you don't have a return fuel line on fuel filter have you investigated the vapor lock situation mentioned earlier.
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #98
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

I have done cap rotor and wires as well and it does have brass. How would I found out if it is vapor lock?
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #99
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I have done cap rotor and wires as well and it does have brass. How would I found out if it is vapor lock?
By following my procedure while watching the accelerator pump squirt.

LG what in the world are you talking about? Unless your really stupid will you blow up anything computer related. And that involves removing the coil wire from the coil and turning over the engine and having a spark jump out of the coil center and zap the green wire on the coil.
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #100
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
My fuel filter doesn't have the double on one end it is just the single. If I switch it where would I hook u the second one on top since I dont have a factory air cleaner. Could this cause it to shut off when hot and need to sit. Would this have any effect on the coil getting hot? Is that even a problem? Should it get hot? Every one I had in there is getting hot, the coil in there now has only been ran 20 min.
You really should have that three port fuel filter. There should be a smaller line around the motor mount that's the return line back to the tank. If there is no cap on it I'd go to the other end and blow air through it.
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #101
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

Ok I'll take a look when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the help you guys have been great. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #102
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

Ok so i got home and found a fuel line that ran all the way back to the tank with nothing attached to it. It was also prob only like 7 inches or so from the fuel filter. It looks like the PO just put the wrong filter on it and just left the line unhooked and unplugged. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Ill keep you updated.
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #103
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

That looks like the return line. Just replaced my filter. You just need to get a hose to connect the line to thr filter and make sure that return line is at 12 oclock on top position.
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #104
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
By following my procedure while watching the accelerator pump squirt.

LG what in the world are you talking about? Unless your really stupid will you blow up anything computer related. And that involves removing the coil wire from the coil and turning over the engine and having a spark jump out of the coil center and zap the green wire on the coil.

There was a TSB sent to NOT do this with the direct fire to block as it could damage a sensor/'puter/etc . THAT'S WHAT I'M TALK'N ABOUT!
I'm also talking about intermittent ground arcing("leaking")from old spark plug wire due to high resistance from the old wires. this will cause a coil to over heat as you are 'shorting' the coil.
BTW, best to do the 'test' with an old spark plug touching the block and not a screwdriver jammed into the plug wire.
LG
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #105
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand View Post
That looks like the return line. Just replaced my filter. You just need to get a hose to connect the line to thr filter and make sure that return line is at 12 oclock on top position.
You better clean the dirt from that line before it's all flushed into the tank.
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.