Strange question about idle problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Strange question about idle problem

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

Strange question about idle problem

Lately the jeep has been having issues starting up, but once it starts it will run fine until you let off the gas, and then it just dies it wont idle at all. I am figuring the venturi jets need to be cleaned. When i went to dive in and start cleaning this is what i found, i dont know if it looks quite right. Also there seems to be a missing vacuum tube. I have been constantly trying to figure out and redo what the PO has done. Any help would be great.

It seems to have the stock carter on there and i just re did the plugs, wires, cap , rotor and coil

Thanks again for the help i would be lost without jeepforum

Missing vacuum ?
[IMG][/IMG]

Is everything correct here?
[IMG][/IMG]

ryancrotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Is that port capped? If not that will make it idle like crap. That is manifold vacuum. I have the air cleaner dampners hooked up there.

Google adventures under the hood. Great diagram of what jeep should be.
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

It is not capped, should it be ?
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

If its not used yes needs to be capped. Should be sucking air. If the problem just started then maybe a vacuum line fell off.

My engine ran ok, then worse, then not at all at idle as my vacuum lines degraded. New holes kept opening up.

Do you have a stock TAC air cleaner? That should go on that there from what I have seen. There are several stock vacuum layouts and it looks like that is not a computer controlled carb so you can ditch some if the vacuum lines. Just make sure you have what is needed hooked to the right source. Ported vs manifold vacuum. Don't know your level of vacuum knowledge but I have learned a bunch of basics here in the last couple of months getting mine sorted out.

Like I said check out that site and search for other vacuum layouts. It sure helps. I think some if the other diagrams show the ports on carb better.
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Ditto on the vaccuum hoses leaking and that port needs capping off, some use a short length of vaccuum tube with a golf tee or small bolt in the end. With vaccuum leaks you will have problems with starting and maintaining the idle, a very common problem.

When it is up and running again look down that carb and see if there is fuel dripping from the idle tubes. if so they are clogged. They should be flowing a small amount but steady.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

It does not have a stock air cleaner. So I just need to cap that port off?
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

It all started after a trial ride. It was really mild and we only hit water once.
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

If that goes to the fuel evaporation canister that could be part of the problem as well.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Cap that port and see if it idles better I am sure it will. In 81 that port supplies vacuum to the air cleaner too. Also just so you know the idle circuit does not get its fuel from the boost venturies. All idle fuel comes from two small holes under the throttle plates. the jets you are referring to are air bleeds for the main circuit which only operates at speed
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Ya cap it off if you don't see a line to hook into it that fell off

On mine I'm pretty sure That port is manifold vacuum. Don't want the evap canister signal line hooked to that. Canister signal should be hooked up to ported so that it turns on the canister only when on the gas. The purge line is usually t-ed into the same line as the pvc line in the middle of the carb on the back side just over from that port.

If you compensate for vacuum leaks by backing out the idle screws it may run. Maybe not good but will run. I did this when mine would not idle. Got it started and could hear a line just sucking in air. Got all the leaks fixed including a leaking egr and it is running really steady at idle now. Went from not being able to squeal the tires on a turn to being able to without any carb adjustment
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

CAP IT!
That is where the vac. switches that should be mounted on the valve cover get their signal.
It's a 'live' port.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

Sounds good thanks for all the help ill try and cap it when I get home from work and let you know, but with the luck I've had with this jeep it has never been the easy fix.
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits
CAP IT!
That is where the vac. switches that should be mounted on the valve cover get their signal.
It's a 'live' port.
LG
The two yellow vacuum switches are on the firewall above the valve cover.

The three vacuum gizmos operate the Sol-Vac idle control and the upstream and down stream air pumps for the cat-converter.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The two yellow vacuum switches are on the firewall above the valve cover.

The three vacuum gizmos operate the Sol-Vac idle control and the upstream and down stream air pumps for the cat-converter.
Switches-'gizmos', not much difference
Bottom line is, that v'port needs to be 'pluged'.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
ryancrotty
1984 CJ7 

So I capped it of and still have the same issues? What could it be vacuum leaks elsewhere?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.