strange brake light switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > strange brake light switch

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
rbush

strange brake light switch

I am working on the brake lights on my 1976 cj5. The brake light switch does not look like anything I have seen listed for any of the cj's. It is at the pedal (not a pressure switch). It is actually mounted to the column with a spring actuator that is on the pedal. The switch itself is a small microswitch. When the pedal is at rest, the spring should (it does not but it should) make contact with the switch. It actually looks like there used to be another piece on the end of the spring that actually came in contact with the switch. I know, vague description. I will try to get some pictures later today. I just thought somebody might recognize this setup from my bad description. I would like to replace it, but don't even know what to ask for

rbush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

It should be a black cylinder just above the steering column with a red or white plunger. The connection end points towards the steering wheel. It's a fairly standard part (either GM or Ford, can't remember which.) When the pedal is not pressed, the plunger is closed, interrupting power to the brake lights, and when you press the pedal the plunger expands and the brake lights come on.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
rbush

This is what it looks like

Well That is what I thought I would see, Not sure how to post a picture, but here is a link to some pictures I shot earlier today and posted to shutterfly

http://ralphsjeep.shutterfly.com/pictures?role=-1#n_5

There should be three pictures of the switch there.

Last edited by rbush; 09-18-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Any way to see the pictures without joining shutterfly?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
rbush

Well, I seem to be having posting pictures. I hope that they appear this time.
brake-switch.jpg   brake-switch-2.jpg   brake-switch-3.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.