Storing bias-ply tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Storing bias-ply tires

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Storing bias-ply tires

I hope I'm not breaking a rule here, as I usually post in the TJ forum. I only have one "new" Jeep, but have had three CJ's , so I hope I am forgiven! I am currently restoring a '61 CJ5, so I will have plenty of questions for you CJ gurus as long as I don't get run off. So here's the first of many. I have found the correct type of old-school tire I want, the Hercules HDT bias-ply, still being made in the 7.00x15 sizes for my original rims. Price is great, and they are perfect for a period restoration. My only concern is how to store and maintain these tires, as I will not have this Jeep on the road for at least a year or two. With these old style tires getting rare, I want to get them while I can, and even after the restoration is done, this Jeep will be a weekend cruiser at most. This will most likely be the last set of tires the old girl gets. So, in this situation, how have those of you with restored jeeps maintained your tires. I know that if stored long term, I should get the tires off the concrete ( it will be stored in a garage). Should I cover the tires and treat them with a tire dressing as well? Any other ideas? I'll post some pics of the mess I have so far. Thanks for any help!

Unread 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I would not put any tire dressing on them. I really think that makes them deteriorate faster. Just stick them in the garage and mount them up when you are done and ready to drive it. If they are newly made tires they should be fine for a year or so of storage.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Certain tire dressings will draw the plasticizers out of the rubber, others won't.

Don't mount them and they should be fine if they are stored out of direct sunlight like in a garage to prevent dry rot.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

They will be stored before and after mounting in an enclosed garage. I have even thought about taking the wheels off and storing them flat after mounting. Maybe even covering them up. I used to do this with some track tires I had on an auto-cross car.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.