Stored to restored - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stored to restored

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
pspradlin2
1983 CJ7 

Stored to restored

I have been in iraq for almost a year now and spent every day making plans for the ol' CJ. I got a new dash and a bunch of electrical "stuff" for the inside and a brand new MC2100 for the motor. When i finally get back i will be hitting the junk yards hard for a contour fan set up and then I will be spraying in the Upol Raptor along with a 1 inch body lift. The reason for the thread is for you guys to give me some does and donts as far as getting it up and running again after sitting since june 4th last year.

My list so far:
1. epmty Gas tank/ few fresh gallons of gas
2. new fuel pump
3. change oil/ filter
4. change coolant
5. install MC2100
6 crank it up

I have not been thinking about much the last few weeks except driving my CJ back up into the moutains of southern Arizona so if you guy could, dont let me miss something important.

pspradlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

New list:
New Battery
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Just be safe, after sitting a year I would chage all fluids (trans, TC, front and rear pumkins). Also flush the Rad.

Thank you for serving
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

And again, SlikRic nailed it - Thank you for your service to our country. I can't say it enough, from cooks and office personnel to front line soldiers, you guys and gals make us proud!

trailhead

Can we get an American Flag Smiley for the forum?
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
pspradlin2
1983 CJ7 

<-- to the Flag idea.

Thank you guys for your patriotism. the pumkins I forgot about. I was thinking of letting them go since i will be getting new gears and lockers later in the year. As for the Rad. how should i flush it? i was think of draining it then filling it with just water and starting it up and taking the plug out again and just leaving it running while filling it and draining it at the same time. Does that make sence?
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
pspradlin2
1983 CJ7 

im going to search it but i thought i should ask any way. What fluids would you recomend for the Trans and T/C?
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
jreycnc
1980 CJ5 

It probably wouldn't hurt to change out the plugs and wires too.

Your service is greatly appreciated!
jreycnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspradlin2 View Post
<-- to the Flag idea.

Thank you guys for your patriotism. the pumkins I forgot about. I was thinking of letting them go since i will be getting new gears and lockers later in the year. As for the Rad. how should i flush it? i was think of draining it then filling it with just water and starting it up and taking the plug out again and just leaving it running while filling it and draining it at the same time. Does that make sence?
On the flag thing, I mean, we're all talking about American vehicles here. I'm not that talented so I can't come up with one, I haven't searched yet though.

On the radiator flush, that's the way my dad always did it. He was a Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) mechanic so he knew some stuff. You may want to dump in a container of radiator flush too. Follow the directions, etc. IIRC, it helps loosen up scale and other deposits in the cooling system. No recommendations on a brand. I'd probably just buy something from Prestone, brand recognition and all that stuff.

trailhead
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

#1 on your list.... post pics....

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
danattherock
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for your service.

The 2100 is a great carb, got one last year on my 81 CJ-7. Also got the DUI ignition upgrade and a short ram air intake. $420 for all of it from mehrrman (or similar) guy on Ebay who is known by many as that is how I found it, a referral on a forum (maybe here). Anyway, point is, it is the best money I ever spent on my Jeep and I have had it since I was 15 (23 years).

Another good project is taking old carpet out, seats, etc.. and getting rust (if any) out of tub, and painting with POR 15 rust preventative paint. Looks awesome. I put new seats and carpet it. Can send some pics if you are interested, just email me at danattherock@hotmail.com if applicable.

Good idea changing all the fluids as mentioned earlier, I need to do the same to mine.

-Dan
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
On the flag thing, I mean, we're all talking about American vehicles here. I'm not that talented so I can't come up with one, I haven't searched yet though.

On the radiator flush, that's the way my dad always did it. He was a Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) mechanic so he knew some stuff. You may want to dump in a container of radiator flush too. Follow the directions, etc. IIRC, it helps loosen up scale and other deposits in the cooling system. No recommendations on a brand. I'd probably just buy something from Prestone, brand recognition and all that stuff.

trailhead
Tryt here:

http://www.freesmileys.org/
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
pspradlin2
1983 CJ7 

The plugs and wires might have 300 miles on them but i will check for and corrosion. my battery is a brand new/ pretty bad *** HMMV battery. When i get home (recover from the shock of a normal climate) I will be taking more pictures of the jeep than you will want to see. I will post as many as i can!i cant wait to get the little/ most important things done and get to the MC2100 Swap and the raptor kit! The dash and the little bit of fender trimming i have to do are looked forward too but they will be a pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.