Stop that leaking rubber oil fill plug! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stop that leaking rubber oil fill plug!

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Stop that leaking rubber oil fill plug!

Hey guys,

I have long struggled with My rubber oil fill plug letting oil seep by and soaking my valve cover.

Well with inspiration from Matt1981CJ7, I took a few pics and wanted to create a post of one way to fix this as I could not find anything.

This is for fixing the issue when it is not caused by a bad PCV valve or excessive blow by.

Here is the rubber oil fill plug.
Ignore the time stamps

The parts, bolt, 2 washers,one rubber washer, nob or fly nut:
Washer should fit just the diameter of the very end of the plug

Drill hole through plug

Put rubber washer on bolt, followed by the washer.

Put bolt through the plug, then place the washer on and spin on either the fly bolt of the nob (many other options)

Finished.

As you turn the nob it pulls the washer up and tightens the oil fill plug.

I got all the parts from ACE hardware.

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Nice solution, I'll have to put it on the to do list.

One thing I may add is to peen over the end of the bolt after the knob is put on. It's probably unlikely for it to loosen off after it's tightened down but it would be a real ***** to have the bolt and washers fall into the valvetrain.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
kovic
1983 CJ5 

^^ I thought about that, but the hole I drilled was was much smaller than the bolt, so it is very tight through the plug, you cannot pull it out by hand, I had to twist it out with an allen wrench .

Good Point though, forgot to mention that.

kov
kovic is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.