Stock muffler and sound wanted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stock muffler and sound wanted

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 03-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
CurtG

1984 CJ7 

Stock muffler and sound wanted

I want to replace my exhaust system with whatever is stock sounding (read as I want quiet not rumble)

Muffler and a cat will be installed and I think I will have it all welded, stainless pipes and muffle is ok cost is not a issue....low sound is.

Part numbers and brand would be greatly appreciated or point me to brand and model type.

The recent exhaust thread got me going to do mine. I don't want that rumble like most of the guys like...low sound is important.

Thanks
Curt

CurtG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Even though I have the Thrush Turbo muffler on mine, and have used for years, NAPA as well as others sell a Quiet Flow muffler for about a 100 bucks. Part# EXH 22339

I may change to this in the spring.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
CJ7VFR

I also have the Thrush Turbo Muffler on my 1985 CJ-7, with the 150 AMC 4 cyl engine.
It is just made from regular steel, and is not stainless.

I picked this muffler for a few reasons such as it is a lot cheaper in price, but mainly
because it is almost the exact same size as the stock muffler that came with the Jeep.

It sounds nice, is not loud at all, and fits in the stock location very well. I was even
able to attach the factory heat shield to it just like the heat shield was attached to the stock muffler.

Here a generic picture of one of the turbo mufflers for your reference:

If you want all stainless, I think Walker makes a stainless muffler that is close to
the size and shape of this one, and as Keith says, they have them in a Quiet Series.

The only problem I see with most stainless steel mufflers is that most of them are
made for the aftermarket crowd, and they are usually made to be more free
flowing, and as a result they are usually a lot louder than stock, as this is
what most aftermarket buyers want.

But I am sure with a little research, you'll find what you want.

Jim
CJ7VFR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I have the thrush turbo muffler, stock everything else and I was able to hear the radio while driving to az going 80 through Texas and I wasn't def by the time I reached my destination
seabass1858 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
CurtG

1984 CJ7 

what catalytic converter should I use?

Thanks for the muffle advice!
CurtG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
I have the thrush turbo muffler, stock everything else and I was able to hear the radio while driving to az going 80 through Texas and I wasn't def by the time I reached my destination
I have the same one and it's not bad at all. I too can listen to the radio, the price was the big selling point for me but it turned out to be a good buy either way.

Place orders through: creativex3dprinting@gmail.com
cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtG View Post
what catalytic converter should I use?

Thanks for the muffle advice!
I'm pretty sure any stock style Catalytic converter will work, I don't think there is much difference between them all. Just price and the name that's stamped on them. Aside from maybe being CARB rated if you need emissions.

Unread 03-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Goodtohave

I am in a similar situation, I want to change my exhaust, all stock.

I am finding the smell of the exhaust is bugging me (I am getting old)..

My CJ7 is an 81 and here in Canada there was no Catalytic but I think adding one will get rid of some of the smell...
Goodtohave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

It wouldn't hurt smell wise. Is your exhaust pipe cut to the right specs? That makes a huge difference.

Unread 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7VFR View Post
I was even able to attach the factory heat shield to it just like the heat shield was attached to the stock muffler.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the stock heat shield on the muffler would you?
Unread 03-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
Goodtohave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwig12 View Post
It wouldn't hurt smell wise. Is your exhaust pipe cut to the right specs? That makes a huge difference.

Yes it exits the back just in the right place, an inch in either direction makes a huge difference on our trucks...

I also have to try to lean out the carb, it runs rich.
Goodtohave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #12
CJ7VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the stock heat shield on the muffler would you?
No I don't have a picture at the moment. My Jeep is in pieces right now!
I am doing a massive rust fix up on it!!

The stock muffler heat shield was originally welded to the muffler if I recall correctly.

Once the stock exhaust rusted away, I was able to cut the heat shield off, and there
was enough of a flange left on each end (front and back) that I was able to use some
metal pipe hanging straps to secure it to the Turbo muffler similar to how a muffler clamp
works. Only ALOT bigger!

I toyed with the idea of welding the heat shield onto the Turbo muffler, just like it was on the stock muffler, but
most of the inexpensive mufflers, like the Turbo, only last a few years, and if that was the
case, then I would be cutting it off and welding it again and again and again.

My father actually suggested the pipe hanger metal strips. They are very flexible, are only about
an inch wide, and have holes in them that run the entire length of the strap, about 2 inches apart.
This made bending them around the muffler and cutting them to the right length easy. Then I just
put a nut and bolt on each strap to secure the heat shield to the front and back of the muffler.

When the Turbo muffler rusted out, all I had to do was take off the nut and bolts holding the straps,
pull of the heat shield, and put in on the new muffler.

Jim
Unread 03-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

[QUOTE=CJ7VFR;28912161
The stock muffler heat shield was originally welded to the muffler if I recall correctly.
Jim[/QUOTE]

Can't say for the older CJs, but the later ones used brackets and U bolts to attach the two heat shields to the system. I know this for sure.
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #14
CJ7VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Can't say for the older CJs, but the later ones used brackets and U bolts to attach the two heat shields to the system. I know this for sure.
I bought my CJ-7 used, so if what you are saying is true, then maybe someone welded
the stock heat shield to a replacement stock muffler. I bet somewhere along the lines
someone may have lost any brackets or what-not that held the heat shield on and didn't want
to go thru the trouble of buying new brackets and just welded it instead.

Ah, the world of owning old Jeeps! You never know what your gonna get!

Jim
Unread 03-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

we installed a dynomax catback and manaflow high flow cat on my girlfriends XJ with good results little deeper then stock but cant tell inside.
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.