Stock CJ7 parking brake cable/equalizer work with TSM rear calipers parking brake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Stock CJ7 parking brake cable/equalizer work with TSM rear calipers parking brake?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

Stock CJ7 parking brake cable/equalizer work with TSM rear calipers parking brake?

I just ordered a set of rear calipers from TSM (#3120) in order to get a parking brake on my rear disc conversion. Now for the cable - PO had the entire cable ripped out. Does anyone know if the stock CJ cables and equalizer will work with this parking brake on the caliper set up? Thanks

AtomicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

Are those the Cadillac calipers? If so I just ordered some brake cables off of ebay from Bruin Brakes and they fit perfect. The passenger side is part number 95421 ($8.99) and the drivers side is part number 94308 ($18.99). These are cables for a Wrangler. I am ordering a new front CJ cable tonight but the old one seems to fit without any problems. The rear cables fit the equalizer just fine. I will take a few pictures tomorrow if your interested.
SpringPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

Here is a photo - http://www.tsmmfg.com/3120.html.

They are supposed to take the same pads as the 76-78 El Dorado from what I can tell. I'm just not sure about how the e-brake bracket/lever will mate up to a Jeep cable. I'd love to see a photo of your set up and get your opinion on whether you think the cables you got will work for me. Thanks for your help.
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

Atomic Ranger

I got a few photos of the brake cables today. In the last photo the equalizer cable has the end cut off from when I was taking everything apart. The stock CJ equalizer cable will reach the equalizer bar just fine.
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

Great photos. Thank you SpringPro. How well does your parking brake hold? I've read that these can be tough to keep adjusted?
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

I have not finished the build yet so I am not sure. I am hoping that they will work ok. From what I have heard you must use the brake all the time to keep it adjusted. If I ever finish this thing I will let you know.
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringPro View Post
Atomic Ranger

I got a few photos of the brake cables today. In the last photo the equalizer cable has the end cut off from when I was taking everything apart. The stock CJ equalizer cable will reach the equalizer bar just fine.
Is that an electric fuel pump mounted on the frame?
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

Hey mooncruiser, would you recommend the monstalined tub? How long have you had it? Been debating hercaliner/monstaliner or paint & vinyl.
Thanks
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRanger View Post
Hey mooncruiser, would you recommend the monstalined tub? How long have you had it? Been debating hercaliner/monstaliner or paint & vinyl.
Thanks
I've had it on there since probably June/July and really like it. First I did the interior in black and liked it so well, I decided to do the exterior. A lot of people think it's crazy to do the exterior...until they see it. It turned out great. The whole key is preparation, clean, scuff, treat any rust areas with chassis saver or something similar, and scuff, clean with MEK or MEK substutute and roll it on-kit comes with special textured rollers. Get a respirator before you do this-not good chemicals for your lungs.

I rolled the interior and exterior-sprayed the exterior on first coat (removed fenders, grille,W/S and hung them while I sprayed to get into all hard to reach areas) but didn't care for the texture compared to rolling, so i rolled the 2nd coat-you can't tell it isn't sprayed. It (rolling) gives a smoother(not flat at all) texture than spraying. This stuff cleans very well and is NOTHING like Herculiner or any of those other products. This stuff doesn't use crumb rubber and will not deteriorate, fade, oxidize, so they say, like the other products.

I have lots of pics on the monstaliner thread in the Vendor section. Also, Eric (Magnetman) is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

Atomic,

I put the fuel pump in the tank with a bunch of modification and that is the fuel filter. My fixer upper has turned into the total rebuild. On the subject of tub liner I would suggest UPOL's Raptor. I put it in my tub and really like it. I is very easy to spray and looks good. I used their other product called Gravitex on the bottom of my tub and it was nice as well. I will find a photo of them both and post it.
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Atomic,

I put the fuel pump in the tank with a bunch of modification and that is the fuel filter. My fixer upper has turned into the total rebuild. On the subject of tub liner I would suggest UPOL's Raptor. I put it in my tub and really like it. I is very easy to spray and looks good. I used their other product called Gravitex on the bottom of my tub and it was nice as well. I will find a photo of them both and post it.
I know what you mean as do most of us on the forum, fixer uppers turn into total restores. The only thing I haven't completely redone(yet) are my seats, get some nice axles, or the frame. As for the frame, it has zero rust since this is from Tucson originally. So currently, I'm picking up my 350 block from the machine shop next week, put on the heads, install the tin and drop it in. I have an SM465 sitting there ready, and just did the Dana 300 input shaft w/adapter this week. I'd had this done a month ago if it wasn't for the machine shop taking so long. Been keeping the brown trucks busy lately delivering goodies to my front door
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

NIce. thanks for the info guys. On the tub liner, if I'm going to the trouble I just want something thats going to last. I'll check out the Monsta on the vendor section. Springpro I'd love to see the Raptr when you have time.

Keeping the brown trucks busy is fun, isn't it. My brake calipers arrived on one not long ago.
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
SpringPro

1977 CJ7 

I have heard good things about the Monsta liner but I don't have any firsthand experience with it. I went with UPOL because I have used several of their paint products in the past and have always been pleased with the quality. The photos of the underside are the UPOL Gravitex and the inside are the UPOL Raptor. You can find the Raptor kit on Ebay that has four bottles of Raptor and one bottle of hardener. You just add the hardener to the bottle of Raptor and shake. Most of the kits come with the gun as well. It just screws on the bottle. I know the Fedex and UPS guys hate coming to my house. If it isn't Jeep Parts then its bullets for reloading.
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg  

7.jpg  
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have heard good things about the Monsta liner but I don't have any firsthand experience with it. I went with UPOL because I have used several of their paint products in the past and have always been pleased with the quality. The photos of the underside are the UPOL Gravitex and the inside are the UPOL Raptor. You can find the Raptor kit on Ebay that has four bottles of Raptor and one bottle of hardener. You just add the hardener to the bottle of Raptor and shake. Most of the kits come with the gun as well. It just screws on the bottle. I know the Fedex and UPS guys hate coming to my house. If it isn't Jeep Parts then its bullets for reloading.
That liner looks good. Yeah the brown Santa truck always makes my day , my wife isn't quite as fond of it as I am
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

Wow! Your liner really looks good. Thanks for the look.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.